Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,659   Posts: 1,481,460   Online: 1095

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I could not make any suggestion for a prebath other than what Kodak uses. As for sequestrants in developers, Kodak used Quadrofos at the time I worked on that type of thing.

Kodak now uses Nitrilotriacetate IIRC, instead of EDTA in the C41 bleach. I can't remember if they changed over for E6. This is the new C41 Bleach III.

I would not use whiteners in film processes. They tend to yellow with age and when still active, can cause bluish color shifts.

The use of DTOD (the dithio ether alcohol) in the developer is far superior to thiocyanate.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Dear PE !!

Thank you very much, seems I have to try harder to get the DTOD for the color developer and use a different bleach. Very calming too, that you don't recommand optical brighteners....

Regards,
    Stefan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, Kodak sells DTOD at a very high price and only in bulk. There are several smaller sellers including one in Germany and one in the US. Prices range about $200 / 1/2 KG.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Uuups, this makes clear why it's hard to get...

Propably I will do a minor increases of the Tiocyanate in the Color developer instead, maybe accompanied by a slight decrease of Citracinic acid to maintain Dmax. Then brewing an adequate Conditioner instead the stop bad, followed by a stronger bleach.

The results by now are quite well, anyhow they don't justify such extraordinary expensive stuff. It's only a hobby, consumption of time is OK if not desired but this...

Thank's a lot and regards again,
    Stefan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This thread come up all the time when I am searching E-6 formulas. But the current wiki article deleted all the references to the formulas. Does anyone know why and if the formulas in the 2007 wiki article is worth to be posted here, and if those are still the better version of published E-6 formulas?

Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm
    High bwfans

I don’t know weather and why the formulations are deleted either, but luckily there is a very good compilation of a variety of formulations on google docs. Feel free to praise M. Stanton for this goodie…

https://docs.google.com/View?id=dhb94mck_38crprhxcf

In this compilation you will find, next to all color formulations you need, the persulfate/quinone bleach you asked for in the “suggested replacement for Kodak e6 kit” thread.

Highly recommended, print it out!

Recommandable no less is the following:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5948604.pdf

If you calculate it down you will find a very usable E6 formulation from Kodak (!).
    This is a bit “thinner” than the normal (replenishable) E6 formulations, because it’s intended for single use only. You will remark that the FD contains only 18.4 g/l Potassium hydroquinone monosulfate instead of 22-24g/, the CD only 8.4 g/l CD3 instead of 10-10.5g/l, CZA only .6 g/l instead of 1.5g/l and so on. But in my eyes at least the FD is VERY usable mainly because the right developing agents are involved.

If you decide to take plain HQ in the first developer you have to add Benzotriazole (look at the google.docs compilation) for reducing the hyperactivity/unevenness throughout the emulsion layers and the occurring color shifts. This is considered as the wrong approach, but it’s an attempt…
    Regards,
    Stefan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Stefan I really appreciate your detailed help!

I just browsed the first link - it is the best source on E6/C41 chemicals/formulas.
    Last edited by bwfans; 12-22-2010 at 04:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin