Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,683   Posts: 1,548,531   Online: 892

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

E-6 Reality Check on Wikipedia

Hi gang!

I've been massaging the E-6 Process article on Wikipedia, and I'd like to get some feedback for both accuracy as well as clarity.

My goal is to build an accurate reference so when questions arise here on APUG, we can refer people to the article.

Please, post your comments here in this thread so we can discuss them, and then I'll add them in as appropriate. One of the problems with Wikipedia in general is the basic concept of anonymous edits; but if one person handles the actual entries, clean, concise and accurate articles is the end result.

Cheers!
    Dan Schwartz

[Note 1: I had to re-subscribe because the server lost my login info.]
    [Note 2: I also posted this on Photo.Net, where I usually hang out.]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dan;

Comments follow:

1. The stannous chloride in the reversal bath fogs the emulsion instantly.
    2. The color developer contains no hydroquinone. Sorry.
    3. The prebleach contains no formalin.

Hope this helps for initial comments.

PE
    Last edited by Photo Engineer; 08-20-2007 at 10:48 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    More comments:

1. A Ferricyanide bleach will cause excessive dmin in the film without a clearing bath and may hurt the image. E6 films were designed to go through a Ferric EDTA bleach.

2. A Sodium Thiosulfate fix will not be strong enough for E6 films without using very long fix times.

3. You list more than 3 baths for a so called 3 bath process.

PE

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    More comments:

1. A Ferricyanide bleach will cause excessive dmin in the film without a clearing bath and may hurt the image. E6 films were designed to go through a Ferric EDTA bleach.

2. A Sodium Thiosulfate fix will not be strong enough for E6 films without using very long fix times.

3. You list more than 3 baths for a so called 3 bath process.

PE
    Ron, I didn't do the 3 bath process: I simply inherited it and left it alone.

But, I sure as hell will update it with your suggestions!

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Dan;

Comments follow:

1. The stannous chloride in the reversal bath fog the emulsion instantly.
    2. The color developer contains no hydroquinone. Sorry.
    3. The prebleach contains no formalin.

Hope this helps for initial comments.

PE
    Ron:

1) I need to research the reversal bath action a bit more: It's very late and my fiancee wants me to go to bed!

2) Nowhere does the article list hydroquinone as an ingredient of the color developer (nor should it!): Try a word search;

3) The MSDS for E-K prebleach lists formalin as an ingredient. Perhaps you were thinking of the older conditioner, which required formaldehyde in the stabilizer bath?

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    More comments:

{cut}

PE
    Do you know if the Tetenal 3 bath kit uses a ferric EDTA bleach(-fix)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry Dan. I meant first developer. My error. The first developer does not contain HQ. It is a no-no. Crossover, bad color, bad grain, bad sharpness etc..... Whatever. HQ is not used in the first developer. Also, AFAIK, an ingredient is missing now that I look it over again.

My bottle of prebleach does not list formalin. It lists a proprietary thiol which is an R-SH containing organic compound.

IDK what Tetenal uses. I only know that use of ferricyanide after a color developer without a clear will cause a pink dmin due to the oxidation of color developer. You have to use a clearing bath to neutralize the color developer and bring the pH down to a safe level.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why don't you post it here instead? Seems like a huge waste of time to do it there when some schmuck can change it, or at least that is what I understand about Wikipedia. I never use it for this reason. Seems there are many things that are inaccurate and manipulated from what I have read.

Patrick

Shooter
    35mm
    Concerning the DIY formulas, they seem to originate (or at least are also reported) here. In fact, this is the only DIY E-6 formula I've ever encountered on the Web. I mention this mainly so you can add a reference. PE has commented on this formula's deficiencies here on APUG in the past.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    Concerning the DIY formulas, they seem to originate (or at least are also reported) here. In fact, this is the only DIY E-6 formula I've ever encountered on the Web. I mention this mainly so you can add a reference. PE has commented on this formula's deficiencies here on APUG in the past.
    Yeah, I've seen the Watkins formula in the past... And it's not even a 3 step, as it was listed when I inherited the page (and I left that way).

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin