Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,922   Posts: 1,584,979   Online: 1037

Shooter
    Medium Format

Long exposures with colour

I have always been interested in this style of merging colour in landscapes, but have never got round to producing anything.

How would I create this type of image?
    Exposure, filters, reciprocity?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails davidburdeney.JPG  

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Lens tilt?

Shooter
    35mm
    more than 5 seconds of exposure.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think my question should ask how does long exposures effect transparency film?
    When does reciprocity kick in with velvia or provia?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I start adding for reciprocity after 4 seconds. After 30 seconds I add a full stop. after 2 min I add 2 stops. I have made Velvia exposures to 8 min.

Doyle
    It is easier to gain enlightenment than to explain enlightenment.
    Supreme Master Ching Hai

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak E100VS works quite well with little to no additional exposure out to one minute. Beyond that, you might want to add 1/3 stop more exposure to 3 minutes, and 2/3 stop more exposure beyond 7 minutes. There is sometimes a slight blue shift in very long exposures (beyond 4 minutes).

If you are doing this in the daytime, and using ND filters, then you have another factor to consider. Some ND filters are not perfectly neutral. On longer exposures, any colour cast from an ND filter will alter the final result on film. You might not see, or notice, a colour cast on shorter exposures, but as time increases the effect can be more noticeable. Buy good ND filters.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Holliday View Post
    I think my question should ask how does long exposures effect transparency film?
    When does reciprocity kick in with velvia or provia?
    After 128 secs for provia and after 4 secs or longer for velvia. My info comes from data sheets that may be out of date (for velvia at least). Fuji has just re-released velvia and I don't know if their new formulation has changed this. You can download film data sheets from fuji to find out.

best regards

john

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin