Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,292   Online: 817

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I would bet upon liquid in the lid.

Corey

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One thing with the Jobo drums is that the lid and beaker have to be very thoroughly washed after use. Otherwise on the next use the first few millilitres of developer flowing from the beaker into the drum can become contaminated with old fixer which reduces it’s activity considerably. I’m not sure that is the problem in this case because this type of contamination causes wider marks, but it is something to be aware of.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format

Solved problem

I am just back from my Ilfochrome session.

I followed what Mr Miller predict and have to say he was completly right.
    The first print from an asolut dry drum (unused for days) went out perfectly.
    Then I applied my pre-rince step: 300ml of water before the first developing bath.
    Doing so diluate the few micro drops that might have survive from previous water cleaning.

All prints went out without troubles.

Thanks everyone.
    Julien.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Congrats on your success Julian!

Dug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Julien

You MUST NOT increase the first rinse volume over the amount of the developer volume or you will get spots (as well as strange red color shifts). I know it is counter-intuitive, but increasing the volume of the first rinse is sure to give you problems. Use the amount of developer specified for the size of papaer you are using, and use the same volume of water for the first rinse.

There is a thread from a while ago where we addressed this issue. I will find the original source material and reiterate it here when I get a chance.

Doug

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Julien

You MUST NOT increase the first rinse volume over the amount of the developer volume or you will get spots (as well as strange red color shifts). I know it is counter-intuitive, but increasing the volume of the first rinse is sure to give you problems. Use the amount of developer specified for the size of papaer you are using, and use the same volume of water for the first rinse.

There is a thread from a while ago where we addressed this issue. I will find the original source material and reiterate it here when I get a chance.

Doug
    Ohh, I'm definitely interested in this having just done my first Ilfochrome.

I'm using a Paterson Orbital(1) for 8x10, it's less hassle than the Jobo (I've used the Jobo for larger-than-my-trays B&W prints though and I'll probably use it for large Ilfochromes too,) is the rinse water thing Jobo specific or a general rule with Ilfochrome?

(For washing film in the Jobo I normally do it outside the tempering bath and use running water (at the correct temperature of course) - normally fill then empty the drum repeatedly for the first minute and then running water into the drum for the rest of the wash (assuming something like a 4 minute E6 wash) - I take it this is going to be a bad idea with Ilfochrome then!)

(1) The drying problem is not unique to Jobos - I learnt the hard way that the Orbital has many water-droplet-traps in the lid which will happily knacker your prints unless you dry it very thoroughly before the next print.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Julien
    You MUST NOT increase the first rinse volume over the amount of the developer volume or you will get spots (as well as strange red color shifts). I know it is counter-intuitive, but increasing the volume of the first rinse is sure to give you problems...
    Doug
    I take good note of your advice and will mesure and pure 125 ml of water as a pre-rince step.

My sequence is:

125ml of water for 1 minute
    125ml of developer for 4 minutes (working at 22°C)
    125ml of water for 30 secondes
    125ml of bleach for 4 minutes
    125ml of fixer for 4 minutes
    Complete wash outside the tank

Now I'm fighting with filtering but that's another problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin