Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,266   Posts: 1,660,617   Online: 749

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tetenal C41 developer at 86f (30c in Europe)

The heating element (re used Nova unit) in the water bath I used to keep chemicals at 100f has broken and I can't find a replacement to keep the water at 100/102f. Tetenal give alternative times for chemicals at 86f and aquarium heaters can maintain that temp. so that seems a reasonable way to go. But are the results at 86f as good as 100f? Any observations from practical experience would be welcome please.
    Thanks
    Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At lower temperatures, even with longer times, the cyan layer tends to be underdeveloped or the yellow layer tends to be overdeveloped, or both.

This leads to crossover and color problems. I have tried to compensate and fix the problem, but it is there nonetheless and is caused by diffusion. And, since each color film has a different thickness, this can vary from film to film. The color films were all balanced for 100F in the 'real' C-41 process.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look around. You should be able to find an aquarium heater that maintains the right temp.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Nick, I was unable to locate heaters that are calibrated above 31°C (both in stone shops and in online shops here in middle Europe), and believe me I have tried...
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Large tank of water = less temperature fluctuation. Just make sure the chemicals are at the right temperature before you start and they should stay warm long enough to get through the development process... or at least this is how I've been developing my own with the tetenal kit and no fancysmancy processor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Start at higher than 100F, say 104 and let the temperature drift downwards so that the average temperature over the 3.25 minutes development time is 100F. This will work quite well. Use an initial prewet at 100 F.

The bleach, fix, stab/final rinse and washes can be as low as 85 degrees as long as you increase the time and don't overly shock the film as to cause reticulation.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That is the way I do it. Start at around 40 or 39°C, keep the whole thing in a tub and let the temperature drop. It will end at around 37 or 36°C, and the results are very good (at least to my eyes) - I'll try to post a photo in my gallery (past date Fuji NPH 400 developed in Amaloco K-54 developer - it's a C-41 developer).
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by chorleyjeff View Post
    The heating element (re used Nova unit) in the water bath I used to keep chemicals at 100f has broken and I can't find a replacement to keep the water at 100/102f. Tetenal give alternative times for chemicals at 86f and aquarium heaters can maintain that temp. so that seems a reasonable way to go. But are the results at 86f as good as 100f? Any observations from practical experience would be welcome please.
    Thanks
    Jeff
    Jeff. Can't help with answers to lower temp and anyway others have done so but did you notice recently that Tim Rudman mentioned that he had a hardly used Nova which he was willing to dispose of for a reasonable offer?

He was inviting a PM from interested parties. Not posted in the for sale area so can;t say if it's now gone. Just a thought.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by poutnik View Post
    Nick, I was unable to locate heaters that are calibrated above 31°C (both in stone shops and in online shops here in middle Europe), and believe me I have tried...
    It's not Europe

http://www.wonbrothers.com/product/heater/d58.htm

But that's rated to 40C. Plus

http://www.wonbrothers.com/product/heater/1000lcd.htm

I have an older smaller version like that one. It's not rated for 100F but it is adjustable. You're supposed to adjusted it so the dial reads accurately. I adjusted it so it runs a little warmer.

Unless the EU limits these things?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    Look around. You should be able to find an aquarium heater that maintains the right temp.
    Have tried internet searches and the max. sustained temp. I can find is 32c.
    I suppose that if I had the know how I could rig up an immerasion heater and thermostat but water + electricity + me is a bit risky!
    Cheers
    Jeff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin