Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,410   Online: 1115

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Loading color film using night vision goggles

Greetings to all. I was wondering about the possibility of using night vision goggles as an aide for loading color film onto spools. I've read and heard you can do this with b&w, but could you do this with color since the color film is sensitive to all colors unlike the b&w film. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Tom

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I believe you can. I believe they use IR goggles for film processing at Dwayne's. I'm not sure if that's on their website, or if I read it in an article on Dwayne's in the magazine _Super-8 Today_.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you are talking about starlight scopes--these greatly amplify even the smallest amount of ambient light, like starlight--they probably wouldn't work in a darkroom for film that is totally dark.

Others work by "seeing" in the IR spectrum, and that might do the job.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You just need IR "goggles" and an IR light source. That's how we process all the color film at Newlab here in San Francisco (except for EIR of course!)
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Medium Format

Night Vision goggles with color film

Thanks for your input. I use a IR Viper night vision goggles. They work fine with black and white with no fog. I'll try them now with color. After reading your response, I feel better about trying them with some color film. Thanks again.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Using IR is a great idea. I think I'll looking to getting a set of IR goggles.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tjaded View Post
    You just need IR "goggles" and an IR light source. That's how we process all the color film at Newlab here in San Francisco (except for EIR of course!)
    Could you use a cheap 50w reptile heat lamp for the light source and make some cheap goggles using lee theatrical filter gel congo blue and primaty red?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mri_tech View Post
    ......I've read and heard you can do this with b&w, but could you do this with color since the color film is sensitive to all colors unlike the b&w film. .....
    I thought B&W Pan film was sensitive to all colors. I remember many years ago trying to load verichrome pan onto a developing spool under a dim safelight..... and it was totally fogged.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Viper infrared self-illumination is not 100% infrared, it's about 850nm so it's visible ad a faint red light. Therefore it will have an impact on any Pan or color film...
    However you can also buy 940nm LEDs that are perfectly invisible and should be fine for any film.

I just designed a 60 LED 'timer' for the darkroom using these LEDs, it should help illuminate the darkroom, and prevent me forgetting stuff in the fixer
    You can also buy a $10 LED 'headlamp' and replace the LEDs with 940nm ones, thats handy to inspect negatives...

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mri_tech View Post
    ..., but could you do this with color since the color film is sensitive to all colors unlike the b&w film.
    Tom,

Both, b&w and colour films have the same panchromatic sensitation.

Exceptions are:
    orthochromatic films (b&w)
    infrared films (b&w and colour)
    Ilford Micrographic (which has a cut-out in the sensitation spectrum as colour papers)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin