Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,822   Online: 1074

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kodachrome 120

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Unless you do it by hand. The formulas are published, and it can be done.

PE
    I'd be very interest to see the formulas - are they somewhere on Kodak's website?

Thanks,

Matt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are in the patent. It has been mentioned in this forum several times as has hand processing. I don't have the number handy. I think that one of the threads was titled "Kodachrome secrets".

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    They don't. It can only be processed as B&W at this point, unless you're able to set up a K-14 hand line.

One has to wonder why Dwayne's doesn't set up a line to process 120, like, twice a year or something and charge a lot of money for it. They could probably get a few people to pay $25 a roll for the service, which is what salvage processing usually goes for with obsolete processes.
    FYI I checked Rocky Mountain Film Lab, who specialize in discontinued film types, and even they won't do it (except as black & white). They might have more information about someone who does though: http://www.rockymountainfilm.com/k14.htm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Assuming one was to try to do it themselves, theoretically you could use and older process like K-12, right?
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tjaded View Post
    Assuming one was to try to do it themselves, theoretically you could use and older process like K-12, right?
    No. That would be like using C-22 for C-41 film or RA for EP-3 paper.

PE

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    The problem with K-14 isn't so much in the chemical steps: It's in the red and blue re-exposure, which is tightly calibrated.

A few months ago, I updated the K-14 page on Wikipedia, with info gleaned from Kodak Processing Manual Z-50 volume 3.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PE,

Do you know how Koadachrome sheet film was reexposed to light? I can see how it could be easily done on a roller transport machine for roll film, but I think it would be much more difficult for sheet film.

From the cleat marks I've seen on Kodachrome sheet film it looks like it was done on hangers just like a dip and dunk E6 line.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We did sheets and strips on hangers and exposed easily with a red light to the back and a blue light to the front. We used wratten filters.

As long as the film is flat there will be no problem. The light should be directed to just one face and perpendicular to the film. It can be moved up and down a length of 35mm but not horizontally or you can get light around the edges.

It isn't that hard. Once you calibrate your light, it works fine. How do you think we processed small batches of experimental coatings, or how did we do small batches of experimental developers. By hand with hangers.

PE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin