Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,034   Online: 942

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    Temperture can be pretty easy. My fish heater has it's own controller. So I turn it on and go have breakfast -)
    Hmm... A hot fish breakfast, it will remind me of Nova Scotia, yum!
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    I've always contended RA-4 is easier then B&W. RA-4 from a good negative is either right or wrong.
    That's exactly what I was thinking - you could spend a lifetime mastering mono, but colour is much more right or wrong.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for the post Michel! I'm kind of in the same situation as you - I bought a huge amount of darkroom equipment from a guy that had "gone digital" for a really cheap price. I literally have a thousand feet of color paper (fuji, agfa, kodak) sitting in my freezer but I've been reluctant to get started with it. I've heard that the RA4 chemistry doesn't last very long and I'm somewhat of a sporadic printer so shelf life is quite important to me. Any suggestions for someone just getting started?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OPTheory View Post
    Thanks for the post Michel! I'm kind of in the same situation as you - I bought a huge amount of darkroom equipment from a guy that had "gone digital" for a really cheap price. I literally have a thousand feet of color paper (fuji, agfa, kodak) sitting in my freezer but I've been reluctant to get started with it. I've heard that the RA4 chemistry doesn't last very long and I'm somewhat of a sporadic printer so shelf life is quite important to me. Any suggestions for someone just getting started?
    First, you should read through the Kodak J-9 Publication about RA-4 in trays/drums:
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe.../j39/j39.jhtml

According to them, developer can last for about 6 weeks in properly stoppered bottles; 8 weeks for blix. This is for mixed solutions. I think unmixed blix can last very long (maybe a search in the APUG archives can yield the right answer), but not developer.

Kodak gives you the exact measurements for mixing only part of the stock solutions. What I decided to do was to mix the whole developer kit (otherwise I would have needed to measure fractions of mL), but only mix 1L of blix at a time. My 8x10 drum needs at least 2oz of chemistry for each step, so I calculated that I can process about 64 sheets of paper with the developer. Given that I may need 3 to 4 sheets to make a proper print, that gives me about 16-20 final prints, depending on the number of mistakes. Within 6 weeks, if I develop at least once a week, or if I commit to less frequent, but more intense sessions, I should be able to use all the developer without loss. As long as you're committed to printing regularly, or in decent-sized batches, you should be OK with chemistry.

I also decided to use a stop bath. In my makeshift darkroom, I need to multitask all the time (check the temps, measure, start the rollers, etc), so with the stop bath I have some reassurance that I have some spare time after development, should I get caught in another task.

I use everything one-shot, even stop bath (it's cheap, so why not). The neat thing if you have a timer with an outlet plug (like a GraLab or any decent enlarger timer) is that you plug the motor base into it, set the time, and then multitask as you need to. Of course, if you have a Jobo unit, then you're already set.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    Do you think I could still be a traditional colour photographer if I take analogue pictures of new colours? I hesitate between being a new traditional or a traditional new.
    What the heck, we'll just call you a "Transitional"...which I think means someone who can't make up their mind...

Color (or colour) printing is rather easy...especially with a processor -- though I can go thru a lot of paper messing around with 2 or 3 units of Yellow or Magenta! The challenge is not so much in the printing -- but more in the seeing. Too many photographers going out and just finding nice colors -- rather than using color as a true element of the image.

Vaughn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    What the heck, we'll just call you a "Transitional"...which I think means someone who can't make up their mind...
    Technically, the term is "Canadian." Which I also am.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Color (or colour) printing is rather easy...especially with a processor -- though I can go thru a lot of paper messing around with 2 or 3 units of Yellow or Magenta! The challenge is not so much in the printing -- but more in the seeing. Too many photographers going out and just finding nice colors -- rather than using color as a true element of the image.
    Talk about metamerism! I have all the possible light sources in my house: quartz halogen, economy fluorescent, tungsten, and day light in daylight. There was a photo that just looked great under halogen, but as soon as I got away from it, I could see a huge magenta cast. Eventually I tamed it down, but I must say I liked the particular colour the print had when I could not see the magenta cast, under the halogen lamp.

My APUG Portfolio

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin