Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,935   Posts: 1,585,613   Online: 698

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This thread got a tad off track, is there anyone who will raise there hand in interest to having a new service launched which processes Kodachrome 120 format?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve;

Sorry, but I think that there is a point being made here in what seems to be off-topic chatter. The film is old and there is a very finite supply. The process is tricky and needs to be babied.

Therefore, you have here the pitfalls in a nutshell.

Everyone owning 120 film and wanting it processed may only amount to a few runs, and the results may be less than perfect. And, you will have to practice with 35mm film to get things up and running right.

That about sums it up. And I guess people are reluctant to commit to anything.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Gosh, I would love to find a place the to process the KPR120 I have in deep freeze storage.

~Steve Sloan
    s_sloan@mac.com

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Steve, yeah, I have a brick of it too, at -15F in my deep freeze... I started a thread on this over on Photo.Net a year or two ago on this; but in my case I was looking at a dip & dunk line with some mechanical trickwork for the red & blue re-exposure chambers.

Photo Engineer gave me some help with the Wratten filters needed & such; but even if I built it, it would still be almost 10 feet tall, and only able to develop 120 & 135-24 exp (and sheet film), because unlike in, say, a Refrema, the film could not be draped over the hanger racks: It would have to be clipped on the end, in order for the re-exposure steps to work properly.

Cheers!
    Dan

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think I've read that DR5 can process Kodachrome as a b/w slide.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I sold the only rolls of this stuff I had a few years ago, giving up it would ever be usabe. If Kodak could make a run of new film I would be interested. I recently got a roll of K25 processed and it was one of the last batch made. It had a magenta cast to it, so I would assume any Kodachrome 64 in 120 still around would not turn out very well to merit spending the kind of money needed to do a run.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    hi

it's so interested. i have a lot of kodachrome 64 120 format (over 100 rolls expired in 1989, but still live in my fridge). if possible, i will be your first customer.

ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Might be interested if Kodachrome was still made in medium format.

Also would probably not be interested having heard you make the statement that you had not extensively researched the process. I would venture to guess that you cannot do it even if you have the interest.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would most certainly use it. I would have also loved to use Kodachrome 400. I really wish that Kodak had put out just a few advertisements in a couple of magazines in the later 1990s. I found out about Kodachrome as a kid from seeing it in old National Geographic magazine ads. If some advertisement from 40 or 50 years ago sold me on a product, imagine what new advertising would do to stir up interest in young people that never heard of Kodachrome. I am shocked to meet photographers in their 30s from different parts of the world who never heard of Kodachrome. I remember all of those advertisements for that horrible APS film and system...if only a fraction of the money spent on that was spent on Kodachrome ads...well, I would have most likely started to use Kodachrome at a younger age.

Haha, everyone remembers Joe Camel...why was not there a Kodachrome Kid? Ingraining a product into a child's mind before they are old enough to make their own decisions can be an effective form of advertising.

Anyway, 120 Kodachrome 64 for my RB67 would make me extremely happy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak trade trialed a 200 and 400 ISO fine grained improved Kodachrome film in about 1990 and the films were rejected by the recipients of the samples. I have said this over and over. They said that E6 is better or it has more potential. So..... What can I say but you cannot sell what no one will buy and what the magazine editors panned in their evaluations. That is who you must discuss this with.

As for hand processing, it can be done. We did the re-exposure by draping the film in a "U" loop with clips at the top and a weight at the bottom. A light was used in the center of the "U" to re-expose the film. The problem came about in calibrating the light. That is the most difficult step of all other than mixing the developers and getting the couplers and CD-6.

PE

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin