Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,226   Posts: 1,532,677   Online: 808

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    OK, forget sheet film. I am fully aware of the different base materials used for sheets, 120/220 and 35mm. I also remember Tri-X film packs. It was the film of choice in the US Army when I was assigned to a photo unit in Germany. I'm familiar with the disadvantages of that film.

On the other hand, if a company knows in advance and is paid in advance for it's entire production run, why not sell the product? Kodachrome may be an extreme example. However, Panatomic-X in 3 formats shouldn't be too hard to produce and sell by special order.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you tried contacting Kodak?

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    I think I shall. I have an email address somewhere for someone who may be able to get the idea out in the open.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    On the other hand, if a company knows in advance and is paid in advance for it's entire production run, why not sell the product? Panatomic-X in 3 formats shouldn't be too hard to produce and sell by special order.
    I think that they would make it for you if you would purchase a whole emulsion run. You would need about $250,000.00 I think up front or possibly more. It is much more expensive than just a custom cut of an existing film.

But, you are talking about 2 different concepts here...First, you are talking about pre-paying a whole production run of an emulsion, and secondly, you are talking about a product to be sold by special order. If you ordered and payed for a complete production run, YOU would be the owner and have to inventory the film and sell it yourself. Kodak won't do it for you. Kodak will not coat an emulsion run on spec, warehouse and inventory the finished product to fulfill "special" orders. That was in the long past.

Even the smaller commercial companies that come out with "new" films, such as Rollei/Maco are just having custom cutting and packaging done to existing "industrial" films still produced by Agfa/Gevaert and Filmotec.

Firms such as Freestyle and Ultrafine Online just purchase enough existing product to have it private labeled for them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think you would be better off finding old coating machines and doing it yourself. That's what Efke did.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Efke is far from capable of making Kodachrome with their old machines.

Kodak had problems moving Kodachrome production to their newest machine.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I was talking about the Panatomic X. But isn't kodachrome much simpler to coat than other color films?

Shooter
    35mm
    I find these ideas fascinating, and admire your enthusiasm in to keep Kodachrome going if or when Kodak ceases production.

However, speaking for myself, I shall continue to use K64 whilever it's available, I love the color and consistency of the results. Clearly Kodak coat the film to their highest standards and surely monitor Dwaynes as a Kodak licencee.

But can anyone else ever expect to match that quality in a small substitute operation, maybe with substitute equipment and chemicals?

Wonderful ideas as an experiment, but I think that many photographers will move, reluctantly, to what works as nearly as possible from the rest of the Kodak or Fuji ranges. For myself, I don't take a huge number of slides, maybe 40-50 films a year, and the subjects such as holidays, pictorial and distant places are too precious to me to worry about reliability of film and processing. My experimenting is all done at home or with local repeatably subjects.

Sorry, I'm trying not to be negative.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    tiberiustbiz,

Basically you need three layers. They have to be controlled concerning their relative thickness.

(In the first chromogenic Kodachrome process the thickness of the dividing layers was of importance too.)

(At the same time the late researcher behind Agfacolor stated that he did multilayer colour film test coating on a homebuilt machine...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    I think that they would make it for you if you would purchase a whole emulsion run. You would need about $250,000.00 I think up front or possibly more. It is much more expensive than just a custom cut of an existing film.
    I don't know, since I have no connection with Kodak, but I'll bet this estimate is too low to get a special production run of a non-current product. Yes, a custom cut and packaging of something already existing will be far cheaper.

MB
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin