Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,055   Online: 810

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Kodachrome Sheet Film

This item was among the bargains at the final going-out-of-business sale at Camera World of North Carolina, at the end of 2008. I paid $5 for a very old box of Kodachrome 4x5 sheet film... I don't propose to shoot this film (the box includes a notice to develop before Feb. 1949), but I thought you might all enjoy seeing the box! This goes into my collection, right next to a brown glass bottle with a yellow Kodak cap.
    “For me, the camera is a sketch book, an instrument of intuition and spontaneity.”
    ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Go with what works for you. If Kodachrome ain't it, then skip it for what does. It's of no benefit to judge others' aesthetic selections for emulsions. What works for person A might not for person B and D and L, but that's OK.

And no, I am not a woman of great means. The money I would have to spend on it would be a huge gamble, but life's short. And then I die.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think the attitude is: Why waste several hundred rolls of perfectly good film?

Now processing the 4x5 stuff, that would be crazy.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Discpad View Post
    Steve,

Have you actually processed Kodachrome before? Do you process it now?

It's not as easy as you think, because, unlike E-6, there is NO chemical reversal. In E-6, you can substitute light reversal (800 footcandle-seconds of energy) for the reversal bath; but in K-14 you have red re-exposure and blue re-exposure steps.

Both of these re-exposure steps are NOT terminal (expose to completion), because one is through the emulsion and the other is through the base; and if you hit either one too hard you'll expose layers that are not developed yet.

I know, I looked at this, since I too have a brick of 20 120 rolls.
    I looked over the processing instructions once for Kodachrome and while it looked involved, I'm sure any decent wet chemist could get his arms around this. In fact I'm not sure what all the hullabaloo about Kodachrome processing is really about - mystique and scientific ignorance perhaps. Making something like a very simple integrated circuit is a helluva a lot harder (I've done that too).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Perhaps someone will create an E-6 film that has a color palette similar to Kodachrome. Far more practical than developing old 120 Kodachrome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Stephen Frizza;

At the very least, you have prompted a volume of discussion.

I am also someone who does still use 2.25 Square or 6 cm by 6 cm, and Kodachrome in a 120 film size is of interest to me also.

As some evidence of my sincerity in my expression of interest, I point out that yesterday I did buy some more KR-64 and PKR-64 that will go to Dewaynes for processing.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Budding View Post
    Perhaps someone will create an E-6 film that has a color palette similar to Kodachrome. Far more practical than developing old 120 Kodachrome.
    Perhaps they will; but where's the challenge in that?
    testing...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Creating an E6 film with a similar color palette to kodachrome (supposedly impossible) will not help use that brick of kodachrome 120 in my freezer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tiberiustibz View Post
    Creating an E6 film with a similar color palette to kodachrome (supposedly impossible) will not help use that brick of kodachrome 120 in my freezer.
    Not 100% impossible, but very very difficult!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Last edited by accozzaglia; 01-24-2009 at 03:05 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Unnecessary.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin