Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,383   Online: 1087

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

kodachrome 120 expression of intrest?

Hello

I have noticed there have been a few expressions of interest for kodachrome 120 to be processed, but at the moment no lab is offering this service. I own and operate a pro lab in Sydney Australia called The Lighthouse and am heavily considering offering proper colour processing service for Kodachrome 120 film twice a year. Anyone who is interested in this service could you please reply to this thread and also give me an idea as to just how much Kodachrome 120 you may have access to.

Many thanks

~Steve Frizza
    The Lighthouse Lab

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Steve,

Have you actually processed Kodachrome before? Do you process it now?

It's not as easy as you think, because, unlike E-6, there is NO chemical reversal. In E-6, you can substitute light reversal (800 footcandle-seconds of energy) for the reversal bath; but in K-14 you have red re-exposure and blue re-exposure steps.

Both of these re-exposure steps are NOT terminal (expose to completion), because one is through the emulsion and the other is through the base; and if you hit either one too hard you'll expose layers that are not developed yet.

I know, I looked at this, since I too have a brick of 20 120 rolls.

Shooter
    35mm
    maybe you should discuss with kodak about becoming an authorized lab for 35mm first? What if they discontinue the 35mm kodachromes? Then your investment will be completely wasted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I must add that this can be done but will take some experimentation with 35mm Kodachrome first to get the exposure down pat. Also, the reversal exposure varies from film to film due to the various speeds.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you could demonstrate that you can really do it, and then amass a supply of film and maybe sell it as a package, with some sort of guarantee or batch testing, because there could always be issues with the storage of the film, given that you would have to acquire film from various unknown sources, then yeah, I'd be willing to pay around US $35-45/roll including processing for that service.

6x17 Kodachrome--yeah, that's worth $10 an exposure.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I should add that the color developers are very high in pH and decompose rapidly into Cyan, Magenta and Yellow sludge. This is why the process is best run 24/7/365.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    its currently only something i am getting expressions of interest for, I have not processed kodachrome as a colour film before nor have I extensively researched the process. Before I take on any steps I first am wanting to see what level of interest there is in this service being provided. Once I have gaged this if the interest is there I will research the process and will endeavor to provide it. If following extensive testing i am happy with the result and believe I am able to offer it as a professional service then yes I will consider doing it. however it will only be after very extensive research and testing. Many thanks for the interest so far.

~Steve
    The Lighthouse

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, you might want to give these fellas a call:
    http://www.rockymountainfilm.com/equipment/klab.htm

EDIT: Oups! Didn't realize that this was for 35mm only. Sorry.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If we're going to dream, how about going all the way and asking Kodak to cut Kodachrome in sheet sizes like they did for the B&W ULF offering of TMax? Now that would be really something!
    We know the processing is possible, just not easy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All of the Kodachrome is coated on 5 mil support, but sheet films are on 7 mil support. This presents a problem.

PE

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin