Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,530   Posts: 1,543,967   Online: 1103

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Don't use the blix hack

Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    I thought the fix for c-41 was a completely different chemical than for B&W fixing ... I don't know, I have blix which is scary red and i'd never use it for anything but its intended purpose.
    That is correct: "blix" (bleach-fix) is a mixture of C41 bleach + fixer, or E6 bleach + fixer, and you sure as hell don't want to use it on B&W film!

Do yourself a favor and do your bleach & fix steps separately as they are called for, i.e. no shortcuts. You spend a lot of money for color film: Why risk it to the shoddy blix hack?

Besides, when you bleach separately, it's much cheaper, since you can run a replenished bleach tank. For C-41 bleach, you can even regenerate it (to a point), which will cut the costs even further.

I don't know where you're located, but there are minilab supply houses in every city that can get you off and rolling with the Right Stuff, so you'll get perfect results every time.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The problem seems to be the availibility of small volume C-41 kits which contain separate bleach and fix.

But I'll think about that minilab approach to get those chemicals.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    SilverX:

I don't know what the market for C-41 chemistry is in Germany; but, if you have a minilab in every grocery store, pharmacy and Aldi, then there has to be a chemistry and paper supplier that keeps them up and running... You just have to find them!

I have to go to bed; but I'll write more tomorrow...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What is so bad about blix anyway? This isn't a "hack" - the kit came with it so it's not my fault, is it? I don't have the high volumes needed for minilab-quanities of anything. I do 6 rolls of colour medium format per month or so, so I split a c-41 kit of tetenal colortec. I am no where near a professional and I'm using 1UKP cameras with mostly expired 1ukp a roll film so why all the fuss? Maybe if I was shooting weddings on the weekend with a 'blad I could see the point. The point is, I'm getting good results now, why make life more difficult? I am in a tiny flat and i cannot store gallons of c-41 stock solutions. And the original point of doing my own c-41 was to do it more cheaply and quickly than sending it to a lab, which is what I'm doing.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Akki,

It could be that whole blix discussion started as PE is a strong advocate on the use of separate bleach and fixer on film. I don't know. Anyway, here is one of his statements on this issue:

http://www.apug.org/forums/395919-post1.html

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hm so what I'm using isn't as bad as it could be because the tetenal kit I have is liquid form... and I tend to do my c-41 as a batch over a day or so.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin