Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,496   Posts: 1,571,431   Online: 1110

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I thought that the 2hrs of training photo tech was full of it. I have some outdated e-6 that i wanted cross processed at Wally world. the gimp behind the counter read me the riot act for even asking. told me horror stories of how the film had in the past ruined all of the chems and the other film in the processor. he said they had to tear the whole thing down and clean it. yah know when you hear a story and you know that it's BS. i think I'll try the tape over the label trick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Re spool it into a kodak gold 100 can. I once took some portra nc into a 1 hour. When I returned home there was a phone message from the lab 'tech' saying they couldn't process pro film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have cross processed E6 film and C41 film in the same Jobo drum at the same time and gotten good results. (EPP and Portra 160VC).

The E6 film will have no significant effect on the C41 process. I have no information on C41 in E6, but I have done it. It probably would have little to no effect, but it may due to the DIR couplers.

The statement that cross processing E6 in C41 chemistry causes problems is a total myth!

PE

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    It's Kodachrome, which if accidentally put through the mini-lab, which hoses up the machine. It's the rem-jet coating, IIRC.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We cross process film both ways all day long, no problems with the chemistry (control strips run every 1/2 hour to 1 hour.) The only stuff that will gum up the works would be traditional B&W, Kodachrome, C-22, E-2 (3, 4) anything like that.
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Those comments are correct.

Kodachrome rem-jet ruins the first step in any process except Kodachrome.

Any old Ektachrome before E6 or any old C22 film will mess up any modern color process. The emulsion will come off the support.

Any B&W film, if properly hardened will not mess up a modern color process, but you cannot know beforehand, so assume that any B&W film will ruin a color process.

This applies mostly to the first step. Subsequent steps might survive and filtration through a coffee filter setup would recover any solution from any problem of stripped gelatin or rem-jet.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I suppose minilabs may occasionally see rolls of respooled Kodak 35mm cine stock, which also has a rem-jet backing. There used to be a couple of labs that made a business of processing it (was it type 5742?). They would send out "free" film, but you paid for the processing, and would get another "free" roll with your photos. I don't know if those operations are still around.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Those comments are correct.

Kodachrome rem-jet ruins the first step in any process except Kodachrome.

Any old Ektachrome before E6 or any old C22 film will mess up any modern color process. The emulsion will come off the support.

PE
    Feel free to bark if this is the stupidest question ever, but would that include some old Kodak Elite II 200? (expriy date 08/1998) I was just about to load some into my Nikon with the express purpose of cross processing.
    I really like my lab. (they give me free stuff) I'd hate to mess things up for them. (and stop getting free stuff)

Cheers,
    Last edited by Toffle; 09-06-2007 at 10:58 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Puncutation... I'm strange that way.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom;

See my process guidelines. For example, an E4 film would ruin an E6 process, but no E6 film could ruin a C41 process. It is the generation and process that counts due to the process temperature!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    I first saw this cross process technique around 1989, so now is a good time to revive this, what is also very cool is to have your lab flash C41 one after the first lift in development. Beautiful
    Hi Bob - I'm interested in this technique you mention. Just to clarify - I expose onto colour neg then have the lab run it through E6 in a dip & dunk machine & briefly expose it to light when the rack lifts out of the first dev?

To the original poster - you should be able to get slide film run through C41 chemistry at any lab. However as mentioned some will object to it for reasons that are invalid. Better not to use them anyway as they won't know how to get a good result. In Sydney there are a few mini labs that know what they are doing with this stuff & can get as good a result as anyone. Might be worth asking around your local labs until you find one that says they are happy to do it & can show you examples of their work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin