Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,515   Posts: 1,572,111   Online: 1087

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Tom;

See my process guidelines. For example, an E4 film would ruin an E6 process, but no E6 film could ruin a C41 process. It is the generation and process that counts due to the process temperature!

PE
    Ok, Thanks PE.
    Curse my eyes! I had to use a loupe to read the canister, :rolleyes: but it's definitely E-6. (funny, I can read a full orchestra score at 20 paces, but I can't read a film canister after 10 PM)

Anyway, the film is loaded, I'm ready to shoot. I'll process with confidence. (you're sure, right? Just kidding.)

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

ITS A OK!

the Film that can not be cross processed is black and white film.
    If it goes through a colour process it strips the film when it hits the bleach
    and this can lead to chemical problems. With cross processing E-6 through the C-41 process I have heard that large amounts of this material being cross processed will cause the chemistry to drift at normal replenishment rates.
    however In a pro lab environment where you may have 4 rolls of cross processing for ever 100 rolls of C-41 this issue does not occur.

there would be no valid reason for a minilab with high volumes to not offer this service.

~Steve Frizza
    The Lighthouse Lab

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Goldie

The method that I used was the photographer exposed onto C41 film and then in the C41 Processor after the first lift in the developer ,I would turn on the lights for approx 1-2seconds as the film was hanging. Make sure you isolate just the film you want flashed, or there will be a bunch of pissed clients.
    I guess if you were processing on a Jobo this would be possible ,*unroll the film, flash , reroll and continue process, there may have to be a water bath to dull the dev while you reroll back on the reels and then continue with the process*
    I never tried the c41 in E6 flash expose thing, not sure how that would work. All the E6 labs I worked at had a dedicated Refrema tech that was so busy 16hr days two shifts, It was not possible to get on the machine.
    But the technique I describe is like popping flash light on a colour polaroid or pos neg polariod, and I will not call it solarization, as Ron will give me shit, but it certainley looks cool and every frame is an adventure on roll film.

Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    Hi Bob - I'm interested in this technique you mention. Just to clarify - I expose onto colour neg then have the lab run it through E6 in a dip & dunk machine & briefly expose it to light when the rack lifts out of the first dev?

To the original poster - you should be able to get slide film run through C41 chemistry at any lab. However as mentioned some will object to it for reasons that are invalid. Better not to use them anyway as they won't know how to get a good result. In Sydney there are a few mini labs that know what they are doing with this stuff & can get as good a result as anyone. Might be worth asking around your local labs until you find one that says they are happy to do it & can show you examples of their work.

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    the Film that can not be cross processed is black and white film.
    I just remembered this from years gone by.

Back when I was a kid we had an 8mm wind-up home movie camera, I think every family did back then. Almost all of the movie film that you got at the drug store was colo(u)r, Kodachrome 25, IIRC.

Well, I remember my brother got a couple rolls of 8mm B&W movie film. Yes, they actually made it. I think he was gonna make art films or something. --LOL--

Anyway, one of the rolls of B&W just sat and sat and sat in the camera and eventually when it was finished, whoever took it in to be processed (Dad?) didn't remember it was B&W and didn't tell them so it got processed as Kodachrome.

I remember watching it at first, and thinking that the color was really poor, then my brother breaks out laughing, remembering it was B&W film.

It was like black and white, except it was more green and white. Some of the scenes had a grey sky against foliage and they looked almost normal.

This was a good example of accidental cross processing which worked, actually. As I think back I'm glad that it didn't foul up the Kodachrome processor, and I'm amazed that it worked, more or less correct reversal exposure and all.

Oh well ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the replies. I use a pro lab for most of my slides but the local '1 hour' has done process only for me in the past and I was curious as to if they could do it so I can get an idea of the effect and didn't want to screw things up for them
    Hope you don't mind another dumb question - if I want prints do Iuse RA 4 ? If I scan do I do it as a negative or positive film ? (told you they were dumb questions ).

Cheers ; Chris
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    No dumb questios, prints will be RA4 and you can scan pos or neg , without any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by digiconvert View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I use a pro lab for most of my slides but the local '1 hour' has done process only for me in the past and I was curious as to if they could do it so I can get an idea of the effect and didn't want to screw things up for them
    Hope you don't mind another dumb question - if I want prints do Iuse RA 4 ? If I scan do I do it as a negative or positive film ? (told you they were dumb questions ).

Cheers ; Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you process any conventional B&W film intended for a 68 deg F process in any color process at 100 F, the emulsion will strip off the film in the first step it touches that is at 100 F. unless the film is specially hardened for that temp.

If you can harden it for 100 F and persist in processing, then the image is totally bleached and then fixed in the tail end color process leaving a blank piece of film.

So, one of two things can happen to straight B&W film, but either one leaves blank support.

In the case where the film emulsion strips off the support, the processing solution in which this takes place is ruined. In the other case, where the emulsion remains on the film, none of the chemistry is affected.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What an informative place this is :-)
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

X-pro at Asda

If you go to a branch of Asda that processes film in house they will do X-pro. Have a word with the person running the processor.
    Asda also charge £1.50 for dev only, I get them to leave my negatives as a long roll so I can cut them into strips of six rather than four.
    I havent tried Jessops but they charge a great deal more for there film processing but you do get a Free film
    Wherever you go tell them you know that it is a E6 film and you do want it run through the C41 process.
    Have fun.

Charlie

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin