Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,944   Posts: 1,585,782   Online: 1024

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Cross processing in '1 hour' lab

If I want to get an E-6 processed in c-41 would my local Jessops or Spielmans be happy to do it ? I can't think why not (OK the quality may not be the best but I'm just trialling it) but does anyone know of any good reason why they shouldn't. I could always play dumb and pretend I didn't know what E-6 was
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If your lab is smart, they'll catch it first. The reason they won't want to do it is because it really makes a mess of their processing chemicals, and they have to do a dump-flush-and-refill on their machine. If they're about ready to do that anyway, they may be willing. If not, it will cost them an unanticipated $300 or so in chemistry alone, not to calculate other customers' film being damaged and having to eat the losses from all the other film, and the bad will it will generate for them with those folks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    E6 developed in C41 does absolutely nothing to the chemicals. I worked with a lab rat who ran tests 2 or 3-times a day and after multiple racks and across multiple days crossproccessing caused no measurable changes in a replenished system. The reason they won't do the film is either ignorance or that their print machine will not be able to give a print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    According this thread here on Apug (that search function sure is neat!) there should be no problem with them cross processing and the quality of their chemicals--note: I'm going with the advice of Jon Callow and Ron (Photo Engineer) and not the hearsay words of a lab tech as reported by modafoto).
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hey... speak of the devil!
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I must have gotten my processes bass-ackwards then. Either it's C41 in E-6 chems that glops it all up, or else they're both myths, and I stand corrected.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    You can do E6 in C41 or you can process C41 in E6 without worry . But the statement about a competent lab technician not running unless totally sure is what I like to hear. I prefer the look C41 in E6 over the other way for what its worth. Though John Callow really knows how to make magic happen in his prints.

I first saw this cross process technique around 1989, so now is a good time to revive this, what is also very cool is to have your lab flash C41 one after the first lift in development. Beautiful
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I must have gotten my processes bass-ackwards then. Either it's C41 in E-6 chems that glops it all up, or else they're both myths, and I stand corrected.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    .....the statement about a competent lab technician not running unless totally sure is what I like to hear......
    Don't count on it. I've had multiple rolls of E-6 ruined by a professional lab (no longer in business!) running it in C41 without checking.
    —Eric

Ria

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I used to work for a pro lab here in Tucson and we never had any problem cross-processing either way as long as we were absolutely certain that was what the customer wanted. Whenever I wanted to cross-process E6 I would put a piece of masking tape on the film cassette on which I had written
    "Process as C41".
    Incidentally, if you cross-process the Ilford C41 BW in E6 chemistry, you get a monochromatic blue transparency.
    Ria

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Crossprocessed Tmax CN is a very nice shade of grey cyan. Youhave to expose it at an EI of 25 or less.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin