Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,027   Online: 1173

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    Even glossier than RC paper? ick - glossy RC paper is already so shiny, I can't imagine it being even more so.
    Kodak sell's semi-matt (N surface) and Luster (E surface). Fuji Crystal Archive is availabel in Glossy, Luster, and Matt surfaces. The Luster and Semi-Matt and Matt surfaces are very attractive, IMO. PE is correct you don't want fiber based color paper for the reasons he listed.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ron, did you ever ask Eric Taubman about the special order of FB color paper he says he ordered from Kodak once? I recall that you had your doubts, but he's a lab owner and probably a Kodak dealer, and I know he's made special orders of 20x24" film, so I didn't see any particular reason to doubt his claim.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David;

I have not had any information about this order. Most all of the older paper manfuacturing people are gone. The RA team is there now, but unless it was done with RA, no one would know.

I can say that one run at Kodak Park would have been between 5000 and 15000 linear feet of 42" paper and the machine could not have run at the same speed as it would for FB due to drying and tensioning.

FB paper expands during coating and therefore linear and longitudinal sizes change somewhat. RC does not. Also the paper swells (thickness) due to moisture and dries more slowly. Therefore the formulas as coated and during coating (the machine setup is part of the formula) cannot be the same.

Anyone ordering FB color from EK would be forced to undertake the development of that formula on a narrow width machine to test speeds and drying conditions.

On another matter, the surfaces of papers was done by calendaring rollers made by Rohelen engraving of Rochester. This treatment was done at different stages in the process of manufacturing the paper depending on the surface. Kodak was probably the largest customer for these massive stainless steel rollers. They wore out rapidly and were replaced often.

AFAIK, Rohelen is now out of business. At least, their big plant on Jefferson Road in Henrietta was not there when I looked for them. So, even if someone wanted these surfaces and could pay, there is no easy way to get the engraving done, I would think.

Schoeller in Germany offers only 3 surfaces or perhaps 4 in FB and perhaps 2 in RC. I have gotten samples of 3 of the surfaces of FB paper and 3 in RC that are currently in production. I have them here at home. I have hand coated on all of these and in addition have used commercial papers without baryta such as watercolor, vellum and canvas. The result is that handcoaters would have up to perhaps 7 or 8 different surfaces for prints. This probably would not be the case for production coatings.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi, sorry to drag this up again but i was thinking about colour fibre paper and started seraching for infoand found this.
    i used to work for eric/LTI in london and remember the lab using this paper. it did exist however i remember very little about it's properties, the emulsion seemed fined on the support layer. the only criticism seems that it was over saturated.
    i know someone who may have a print from back then, i'll look into it. eric is obviously still around in nyc.
    Labyrinth Photographic Printing
    121 Roman Road, Bethnal Green, London E2 0QN
    020 8709 9961
    http://www.labyrinthphotographic.co.uk/

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Of course it existed. All chromogenic papers first had an un-covered paper base. There was a short period of synthettic base. But fibre base was the mainstay.In the late 60s RC-paper base was introduced.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin