Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,768   Posts: 1,484,193   Online: 851

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Fuji Superia 1600......

Any opinions on Fuji Superia 1600? I am planning to buy some for any low light photography when I go to India at the end of the month.

Any observations gratefully received.

Thanks,

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look at Nicoles Gallery and her website and decide for your self
    Kind regards
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't used a lot of the 1600 but all of Fuji's neg films are.... well....superior. My favourite amongst the high speeds is NPZ 800 but I'm sure the 1600 won't dissapoint you.
    Have fun in India, should be full of great images.
    Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've only shot much of the Superia 1600 for indoor soccer. I found that the shadow density isn't what I'd expect until I rate it at 1000 or 1250, with both TTL centerweighted averaging and handheld incident meters. This was also under metal halide lamps, so I can't talk about color balance in continuous spectrum light very authoritatively either. It does handle color under the metal halides very well. "Grain" is also pretty decent, with a fairly smooth look. I haven't gone past 4x6 inch prints or scanning for the web.

So now you've got me thinking that I should give it a go under other circumstances. Will report back if I do that in time for it to be useful to you. You might do a search for it here on APUG. I know it's been discussed and compared to Natura 1600, which Ryuji and Helen B have reported to be perhaps the same film in a different box.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/3...ra-1600-a.html

Lee

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Yeah, I've shot the Fuji Press 1600 and found it to be lacking at EI 1600 -- Much better at EI1000-1250.

On the other hand, you can shoot it easily at 1600 to 2000 with a 1 stop true push, i.e. 4:00 @100F; though minilab C41 processors can't (easily) do push processing. [Actually, they can: When the film is in the dev tank, pull the plug for 45 seconds... You may just find an experienced minilab operator in India who'll do it for you.]

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have used Fuji Press 1600 at EI 1600 and found that compared to slower films, it's grainer and lacks some color saturation. However, if you're in a situation where you need the speed ( I was shooting HS football at night under lights ), then it's great.

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    I've used it off and on. It is more grainy than the 800 and less saturated. However, when you need that extra f-stop, it does its job.

Shooter
    35mm
    I had reasonable success with it at an evening airshow. Colours still seemed fine but at 8x10 and with some cropping enlargement as most planes were quite far away even at 300mm, the grain was noticeable but not obtrusive. Actually the shot was probably more like 12 x16 in reality.

So if you need 1600 and full neg prints up to 8x10, I think the grain will be minimal.

Best of luck

pentaxuser

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin