Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,688   Online: 984

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IMHO, I would think that it does not use the newest technology.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodacolor 100 in Mexico... Same film?

I was working in Cancun this past March and happened into the local Wall Mart for some emergency supplies and found brand new 100 ASA Kodacolor film in large numbers in the Photo Section. All had expiration dates of 2009 as yours does. Now I'm wondering if this is the same film you found in your local grocery chain.

My plan was to shoot it and then have it processed at the Wall Mart in Cancun, but our schedules changed. Now it's at home in my fridge and I'm wondering if I can get processed in the US.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zemzem View Post
    .... Now it's at home in my fridge and I'm wondering if I can get processed in the US.
    Yes, you can.

It's C-41 process color film, no matter where you bought it. And you can get it readily processed at your favorite 1-hour shop.

Fire away!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PE regarding latest technology, I don't think so, but that may not be relevant.

I compare any colour neg film to Fuji Reala, which I have been using since it's inception. Reala uses 4 layers, I believe only Kodak's latest film uses 4 layer technology.

The Aldi film, when I tested it under fleuro lighting, showed up reasonably green, suggesting it doesn't have the 4th layer. When Reala is used unfiltered under fleuro lights, minimal to almost no cast happens.

The cast in the Kodak film from Aldi, can virtually be removed with filtering in the darkroom, but when shot with a magenta filter under fleuro lights, it worked a treat.

It is a very good film, as it should be with the Kodak name on it.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak film and Fuji film both use a LOT of layers and also unique layer ordering to get high quality.

The newest film uses 2 electron sensitization which gives about 1 stop in speed for a given grain size. This is in the newest Portra films.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All I remember about Kodacolor VR100 film was it was more muted in colors then VR-G/ Gold 100, and that it was not as archival- meaning the dyes fade sooner then normal. But that was based off one roll of VR, so if I used fresh stuff today- it might come out different. I've never seen VR film for sale anywhere.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    PE and anyone else. It would be interesting if the source of manufacture was identified. Based on what I found and others' comments it must still be being made. If Aldi( pile them high sell them cheap) here and in OZ is buying it then it's being bought in large quantities for sale. At my branch of Aldi it is on the checkout rather than in store. May be just too easily pocketed to risk displaying it in store.

However if it is old technology as was said by a Kodak spokesman some 7 years ago, is it likely that Kodak itself is still producing a 1980s film alongside its newer offerings or has it been outsourced but under the Kodak label?

Mick and others. Thanks for what turns out to be positive reviews of the film.

Anyone care to make a comparison with Fuji Superia and the current range of Professional Fuji and Kodak films.

I'll definitely be giving it a go.

Thanks

pentaxuser

Pentaxuser

The films I purchased from Aldi were manufactured in the U.S.A. by Eastman Kodak Company.

The cassette is labeled Kodacolor 400/200

Here is the link to the german test of this and other films http://www.test.de/filestore/t200106...D225F6529A871D
    Its in PDF and in German.
    The films like the batteries and razor blades are kept under the watchful eyes of the checkout staff so the shop lifters dont get them.

7day shop are currently offering some very good deals on film at the moment.

Charlie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That link doesn't work.

Shooter
    35mm
    To all replies. Interesting and useful stuff and none of it discouraging especially Mick's response who has a good pedigree in analogue. The muted colours reference and lack of 4th layer giving the fluorescent light problem figures as does the extra speed for comparable grain with Kodak's latest offerings.

I used Agfa Vista once at an animal safari park in the UK. Must have been the last of the Agfa stock. It was all there was and I was impressed with its muted colours for animals so the word "muted" doesn't per se put me off.

I'll avoid pics at night in my kitchen which is strip lights or elsewhere with fluorescents. I used to read about and see the slightly green effect of fluorescents in colour photography books which were used to illustrate the problem and the need for a filter to correct. I don't use such a filter and have to say I haven't noticed such an effect but then again I think I have used the 4th layer Fuji film.The rest of the house used to be tungsten but is now low energy bulbs. Are these like fluorescent strip lights.? Sounds as if I may need a filter if I attempt any night shots without flash with Kodak VR.

Oh and now I mention VR I should add that I bought some today and it was VR Plus not VR. I could have sworn that when I last passed the checkout there was no mention of the word Plus on the box but I must be wrong as they couldn't have sold out of VR and restocked with VR Plus in the time since my last visit.

Colour film sells too slowly for that in my town. Mind you the local mini-lab seems to be prospering so there must be enough users. It even sells trad B&W film!

Regards

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also see the 100 speed version is/ was for sale. As such it would be neat to try out an older film for fun. Its sold in 100, 200, and 400 versions from what I gather. The 100 version has the same letter code it did in the 80s- CP. Can anyone buy 5 rolls of the 100, 3 rolls of the 200, and 1 roll of the 400 versions for me where it is available? I don't see any on Ebay. The 100 version is named:

Kodak Kodacolor VR PLUS 100 CP 135-36 CN

I assume the 200 is the same. The box has a big VR on it. I can pay by PayPal if anyone get send me some rolls. Email me off site if you can help out. Whether I get 24 or 36 exposure films doesn't matter to me. But I cannot say if its available in 24 or not, as I only see 36 listed. These rolls seem to be fresh dated as well, as someone got some dated 2009. I only want fresh film, as I don't want any older stuff especially the 80s version. So anyone who has access to this let me know.

I called Kodak and it seems this is a discount store film sold on special order for $3+ dollars US. They checked the system and all they could find was the 200 speed version. So I don't know what happened to the listing on the 100 and 400 version, but its possible they may be discontinued. If anyone has the catalog number for the 100 speed version, please post it here. Again I'm wanting to try 5 rolls of the VR 100 film if anyone can still get some. If it is discontinued, then I'll take some if anyone wants to sell their rolls. The price seems to be only a dollar cheaper then the Gold 100 film. Also please post the 100 speed edge markings on the neg if you have used this film. Last rolls in the 80s had 5094 CP. I see CP is listed again, but the number is what Im after. I just wonder if they've changed the emulsion from the 80s or not, but gathering from the CP listing- its the same film.
    Last edited by braxus; 09-24-2007 at 03:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin