Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,669   Online: 952

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Braxus,

I haven't been up your way in quite a while; but this stuff is almost always available down here at places like Walgreen's, CVS, Rite Aid etc. as well as Target and probably (I presume since I don't shop there) WalMart.

I grabbed some last February while in Tucson when I realized I was short color neg while on the way to the Rodeo Parade. It's decent film (isn't K's always) although the film itself is thinner. It may fade faster (just a guess) but if you scan your negs as I do, that's not a big problem.

I suggest you visit your local stores there and see if it isn't hanging on a hook just waiting for you to buy it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Trust me I'd know if I'd seen this film up here. Its never been in any stores that I've been to in the valley here. This may be because Im in Canada. Regardless if you can get me some 100 speed of this with a few of the other speeds, I'd appreciate it. Again I can pay full costs to ship it. Let me know if you can help out.

I never really got a good chance to use this film in the 80s because VR-G was coming in around the time I really started to get into photography. I'd like to shoot some just to see how much different it is compared to the newer films. I want to act fast because the 100 speed may be discontinued.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I checked online including those stores you mentioned and there is no listing for the VR films. Only Gold and Max.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    We have the same film here in our local Aldi store. It is either sourced and packaged in Germany, or is wholly manufactured in Germany, as far as I can ascertain.
    I went shoping at the Aldi today and had a look at these Kodak VR films (a two-film pack for less than 2€).

The printing on the box said: Produced by Eastman Kodak Company, USA.

There was a `Contact Adress´ though, refering to Kodak Germany in Stuttgart.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just got my box out of the fridge.Bought from local ALDI store.There is specific info for Germany and Austria only in German and dual language( English and German) for number of frames and "protect from heat etc. Plus an EU contact address in Stuttgart but it had "made in the USA by Eastman Kodak Company, Rochester N.Y.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I posted earlier that I have had several stories from EK people on recent developments there in product lines. One story was that all color products were moved back to the USA from China, and another was that this was not so. Both stories from credible people. I have tried to follow up with little luck.

I suspect that both have some degree of truth to them and that the local (Rochester) product is made using more modern film technolongy. But, again, I cannot confirm it. This is one case where I cannot help (among many).

I can only state that consumer films generally have the same or similar chemistry to professional films, but are usually built to 0.05 - 0.10 units higher contrast to conform to the preferences of the amateur and also to compensate for the less expensive lenses used in point and shoot cameras.

The new point and shoot cameras have started using a VR film here in Rocheser and I was told that it was made using the new technology. This probably would include the osmate complex which gives up to one stop more speed for equivalent grain size. Therefore, the film would be either sharper or finer grained depending on final design. But my information remains just a guess so far.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All my recent colour uploads to the APUG galleries were shot using these Kodak VR films. Got them from the same place too. I used to use Konica/Minolta VR 100 colour neg, but manufacture stopped earlier this year. I find the Kodak VR a good replacement.
    Last edited by Andy K; 09-27-2007 at 04:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Arrgh! I must get my little hands on this film! It sounds So interesting!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It saturates very nicely, sometimes it almost feels over-saturated. Here's a couple shot recently. The first two using Bessa R3M, Nokton 40mm and a polariser, the third shot using Nikon F80 and Nikkor AF 28-80mm with no filter.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lSouthend2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...wBandstand.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...locktower2.jpg

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    It saturates very nicely, sometimes it almost feels over-saturated. Here's a couple shot recently. The first two using Bessa R3M, Nokton 40mm and a polariser, the third shot using Nikon F80 and Nikkor AF 28-80mm with no filter.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lSouthend2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...wBandstand.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...locktower2.jpg
    Nice one Andy. So much for the washed out, muted colours that I quoted from the photo.net site when I first did the research. The irony was that I had looked at your photos a few weeks ago and commented but hadn't clocked the Kodak VR in the details and had only seen the VR Plus film as a result of the newly opened ALDI a couple of weeks ago which was after seeing your pics so hadn't made any connection.

I just don't see how anyone using ths film could possibly talk of desaturated, wishy washy colours even allowing for the spectrum of opinions on what constitutes saturated colours. The comments in photo.net were on VR film. Maybe VR Plus is different. If not then I'd hate to see what the wishy washy commentator thinks of as saturated colours.

Thanks

pentaxuser

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin