Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,054   Posts: 1,561,335   Online: 1131

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rollei R3 Film and Pyro; 8x10 R3 film

With reference to Rollei R3 film, I wonder if anyone might have some answers to the following questions:

1. Has anyone used Pyro to develop Rollei R3 sheet film? If so, might you be kind enough to supply the parameters you used ( I have a Jobo CPP-2 and will use the expert tanks ) such as time and temperature? Also, might you be willing to share your observations as to the results versus results obtained with other developers and Rollei R3sheet film?

2. I can purchase R3 in 4x5 from several sources. Is 8x10 R3 still available, and if so, from whom?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Edwin

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In their own price list from March the Mahn company (Maco) offers the R3 in two package sizes in 8x10.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Staining and tanning are side effects of pyro (correct me if I'm wrong).

R3 is a 3-layer film reported to be not workable with surface developing chemistry.
    Wouldn't a tanning developer hamper the thorough development through all layers?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    btw: why is this thread in the colour department?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, after all staining developer add colour to B&W negs :-)

Yes staining and tanning are the reasons people use Pyro developers, rather than a side effects.

Needs a Mod to move it to the B&W section. Or a Council member to wake a Mod up :-)

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Exposing the R3 as low ISO and developing in T&S developer as tanol is reported to work well in the technical documentation, but what's the point on it?
    Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas
    http://imaginarymagnitude.net/

Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    btw: why is this thread in the colour department?

sorry....I must have misread the thread header.

edwin

Quote Originally Posted by Muihlinn View Post
    Exposing the R3 as low ISO and developing in T&S developer as tanol is reported to work well in the technical documentation, but what's the point on it?

Precisely why I asked.

Thanks.

Edwin

Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Staining and tanning are side effects of pyro (correct me if I'm wrong).

R3 is a 3-layer film reported to be not workable with surface developing chemistry.
    Wouldn't a tanning developer hamper the thorough development through all layers?

Thanks for the clarification. Appreciated.

Edwin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    From the R3 data sheet:

This is where the special features of ROLLEI R³ come in.
    By proper choice of the developer, the user has unprecedented control over the result.
    Experience has shown that photographers’ first trials of Rollei R³ frequently were unsatisfactory.
    This is why we would like to provide some basic information directed at both photographers and darkroom technicians:
    The new ROLLEI R³ is a multilayer film. It therefore calls for comparatively strong exposure if it is to be processed in a professional laboratory instead of by the photographer.
    In “home” processing, prewashing is essential.
    ROLLEI R³ will give unsatisfactory results if development was too short in relation to exposure.
    The following should therefore be noted:
    Too short a development will give rise to very coarse grain and very thin negatives – in short, an unsatisfactory result.
    If development was – within certain limits – too long, however, no photochemical drawbacks will be encountered, except perhaps for steeper gradation and, as a result, minimization of the extremely rich tonal rendering.

We can just underline these remarks.
    Best results I had indeed with the RHS/AM74 (1+7 - 1+9) and RLS/CG512 (1+4) developers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin