Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,792   Online: 1067

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Supra III Paper Shelf Life

I have a box of Kodak Supra III paper that I bought from Freestyle, maybe as much as 5 or 6 years ago. My memory isn't too clear on this. It is still sealed, and I put it in the refrigerator as soon as I got it home. It has been refrigerated ever since. Any chance the paper might still be good?
    Happiness is a load of bulk chemicals, a handful of recipes, a brick of film and a box of paper. - desertrat

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Supra III paper loses red speed with keeping and will gradually need more and more red filtration and it will become slower.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear DesertRat,

If I were you, I'd give it a try. I've used some pretty old paper and gotten pleasing prints, although with some odd filtration.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Print Results

I made some prints with the paper, and looks like it's still OK. Used Freestyle's Arista liquid 2-liter RA4 kit. The negatives were Fuji Reala 100, 120 roll film, 6X6 size. The print borders didn't show any yellow or darkening, and the colors looked good. Filtration was the box suggested value of 45Y + 45M. I used the RA4 chemistry in trays at room temperature. Sure beats tinkering with the Dev-Tec processor trying to get it working properly, then cleaning out and drying the drum after each print.

These photos were informal portraits taken of some friends and their daughter. My friend and his wife helped process the prints, and they (she) judged the color balance and cropping. They had a great time in the darkroom, and will send the prints to their relatives back east. Images attached with their permission.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JJj.jpg   Dawnj.jpg  
    Happiness is a load of bulk chemicals, a handful of recipes, a brick of film and a box of paper. - desertrat

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not sure if it's the scan or the print, but I think I see a little too much cyan (maybe 3 to 5 CC). Otherwise it's looking pretty good.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    I'm not sure if it's the scan or the print, but I think I see a little too much cyan (maybe 3 to 5 CC). Otherwise it's looking pretty good.
    I also felt the balance wasn't quite perfect, but wasn't sure which filter to change. I have a set of the color viewing filters, and I know they made it here from California, but they're still buried in a box somewhere. When I get some more chemistry I'll try again. If I subtract 5Y and 5M, will that reduce the cyan in the print?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like low contrast to me. They both look 'milky'.

The print on the left looks reddish to me, but the one on the right is ok.

I use 2 minutes at 68 deg F or 20 deg C. I use Kodak RA-RT developer replenisher with no starter.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Looks like low contrast to me. They both look 'milky'.

The print on the left looks reddish to me, but the one on the right is ok.

I use 2 minutes at 68 deg F or 20 deg C. I use Kodak RA-RT developer replenisher with no starter.

PE
    Would low contrast and milky be due to the age of the paper? These were shot in the late afternoon, in heavy shade. Aperture was around f5.6 IIRC. I started with 2 minutes development and slowly progressed to 3 minutes as more prints were made and the developer got darker.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Arista kit is not developer replenisher. That may make the difference.

The paper does not go down in contrast with age in my experience. I have made prints on Supra III that was 10 years old, and the only difference was about 20 red to correct for the cyan speed loss.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrat View Post
    If I subtract 5Y and 5M, will that reduce the cyan in the print?
    Yes it will, but as PE mentioned, the first shot looks kind of reddish, so I'm kind of confused as to which direction to correct it. If you remove cyan, it will be more red, and vice-versa.

At any rate, it's clear they are low contrast, at least from the subject lighting.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin