Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,911   Posts: 1,556,237   Online: 973

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    Surprisingly (to me) few people seem to see the two weeks plus turnaround time from Europe as a problem.
    I normally send E-6 films to Peak Imaging in Sheffield, but because of the current postal strike I didn't want to risk loss or damage so made enquiries in some high street shops.

All three shops quoted a 2 week turnaround

Next time I visit Silverprint I'm going to add a Tetenal E-6 kit and slide mounts to the order.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recently made the switch to Fujichrome emulsions because of a lost roll and one ruined roll of Kodachrome. Because i print to Ilfochrome, I'm experiencing some color bleed as I had been warned about. Fujichromes are beautiful but Kodachrome is in a class by itself and i miss it enough to consider going back to it and putting up with some hassles.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Renato Tonelli View Post
    I recently made the switch to Fujichrome emulsions because of a lost roll and one ruined roll of Kodachrome. Because i print to Ilfochrome, I'm experiencing some color bleed as I had been warned about. Fujichromes are beautiful but Kodachrome is in a class by itself and i miss it enough to consider going back to it and putting up with some hassles.
    Just be aware that if you use Fujichrome mailers in the USA - the film will go to Dwayne's.

Last night I scanned my latest batch of slides just received from them and they are filthy! One shot was of a dear friend which I wanted to send to him.

It took a hell of a lot of "healing" with PS to get rid of the big chunks of dust.

If I'd known before scanning I would have wiped the slide first - but these slides were taken fresh from the box just for scanning and then right back into the box.

Frankly, I am appalled at the low quality of Dwayne's work!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Did they give them back in cardboard mounts? that might be some of the dust problem...I wonder what it would take to get us some plastic mounts from Dwaynes like I get from my local pro-lab that does my E6.

Two weeks turnaround in UK? What is with the shops there? It seems that most pro-labs here in the states will do it in 3hrs to overnight, depending on their work load. If I were to use Fuji mailers, I could mail the film off, and get slides back in 10 days for $4.50 per roll! (But I like to support local business, so I got to the local lab usually with my E6.)
    Man I really feel for you guys now...truly amazed at the way film is being handled. You would think the labs would be kicking up the quality level, and stressing the importance of film handling, etc - to lure people back! No wonder so many people are making the switch to the darkside. Well, I've tried it out, even the recent Sony A-700, and for image quality, I'm still in love with film.
    I better run to work, catch you all later,
    Jed

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hmm - you know until Dwaynes became the sole Kodachrome processor and Fuji's processor, I only heard good things about them. I wonder if they are now overwhelmed with work and have had to hire a bunch of inexperienced people to keep up?

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah Smith View Post
    Two weeks turnaround in UK? What is with the shops there? Jed
    The high street shops here in Plymouth (Boots, Truprint, etc.) send slide films and more unusual formats (probably anything other than 35mm these days) elsewhere for processing. Both of the aforementioned recently quoted me two weeks turnaround because they have a collection once a week. If you're lucky and hand your film(s) in on the day the van turns up, you'll get it back same time next week, but if you're unlucky and just miss a collection, it'll be two weeks. A sign of the times, I'm afraid. Firms such as ColourCare weren't brilliant but once did a daily run around the photo shops of Plymouth.
    It's still quite feasible to get a two or three hour turnaround of E6 but just involves a bit more hassle dropping off and collecting and (inevitably) a bit more money! Spectrum in Plymouth couldn't be more helpful.

Steve

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    Hmm - you know until Dwaynes became the sole Kodachrome processor and Fuji's processor, I only heard good things about them. I wonder if they are now overwhelmed with work and have had to hire a bunch of inexperienced people to keep up?

... Or cut corners now they know they have us over a barrel???

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Grant Steinle does listen, this little lab in the middle of Kansas is trying to keep up and does care about quality control. Heck, they even mark my K-25 on the bag so I can keep it separate.
    I'm expecting a roll back in the mail today or tomorrow. If it does turn out totally 144, as some have experienced lately, I'm going to try to phone Grant Steinle and see if he will indeed listen to me.

Has anybody else who has been disappointed with Dwayne's done that?

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dmr View Post
    If it does turn out totally 144, as some have experienced lately, I'm going to try to phone Grant Steinle and see if he will indeed listen to me.
    As a follow-up to my own post, I'm happy to report that my last slides from Dwayne's last week came through just fine. No dust, no scratches, no off-center mounts. Therefore, no phone call to Mr. Steinle.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah Smith View Post
    Did they give them back in cardboard mounts? that might be some of the dust problem...I wonder what it would take to get us some plastic mounts from Dwaynes like I get from my local pro-lab that does my E6.
    I don't know about getting plastic mounts out of Dwayne's, but they will return film uncut and unmounted, at least if you send it to them directly. (I've had no luck with this via Kodak mailers, though.) You could then cut and mount the slides yourself. Of course, this adds to the hassle and expense, but if having plastic mounts vs. cardboard mounts is important to you, it might be worth the hassle.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin