Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,424   Online: 807

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    I don't know about getting plastic mounts out of Dwayne's, but they will return film uncut and unmounted, at least if you send it to them directly. (I've had no luck with this via Kodak mailers, though.) You could then cut and mount the slides yourself. Of course, this adds to the hassle and expense, but if having plastic mounts vs. cardboard mounts is important to you, it might be worth the hassle.
    I sent out 5 rolls and asked for them to be uncut unmounted, as I'm scanning them anyways...
    4 came back that way, one came back in cardboard mounts.
    I was confused, but figured someone had an 'oh shit!' moment at dwaynes.
    So...some of the time, they will return it uncut and unmounted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBBo View Post
    I sent out 5 rolls and asked for them to be uncut unmounted, as I'm scanning them anyways...
    This is my experience as well. Sometimes I get my slides back unmounted, another time they're in cardboard. A phone call to Kansas got the response, " oh, we don't do unmounted slides." OK... next time my slides come back... unmounted. I'm running about 80% in my favor, so I won't complain. ('till the next time)

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I must be the odd man out here since I'm sorry to have to report that my newly arrived roll of K64 slides were returned to me... perfect. Correctly orientated in their mounts. No crud. No dust. No fingerprints. No muss. No fuss. Dropped in the mail Monday, returned Saturday.

And the best part? That no extra charge bonus of a wonderful five-day interval of anticipation. That's not a bug, mind you. That's a feature. And one you won't get with that other type of imaging technology, no matter how much you spend...

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 10-19-2007 at 12:20 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling - don't tell Mrs. Paris...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBBo View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    This is my experience as well. Sometimes I get my slides back unmounted, another time they're in cardboard. A phone call to Kansas got the response, " oh, we don't do unmounted slides." OK... next time my slides come back... unmounted. I'm running about 80% in my favor, so I won't complain. ('till the next time)

Cheers,
    I'm going to go a bit into "forbidden territory" here but I'm curious about which scanners you use?

I've never thought of asking for the slides to be processed unmounted. But if that will avoid "Dwayne Dust" I'd like to try it.

I use a Nikon 5000D - do you know if it will scan an unmounted strip of slide film using the neg film feeder?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've received a few rolls back unmounted, on request. It probably helped that they were stereo images...
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    I must be the odd man out here since I'm sorry to have to report that my newly arrived roll of K64 slides were returned to me... perfect. Correctly orientated in their mounts. No crud. No dust. No fingerprints. No muss. No fuss. Dropped in the mail Monday, returned Saturday.
    I'm even wondering if word got back to them (maybe even from this board) that their QC was slipping and that customers were noticing?

Quite honestly, last week I was expecting dust and scratches from hearing the reports here. I was pleasantly surprised.

Your turn-around time is typical of what I see. I sometimes get them back Friday if I hit the early mail on Monday. Still, some (Stateside) people are still quoting 2 weeks or so.

And the best part? That no extra charge bonus of a wonderful five-day interval of anticipation. That's not a bug, mind you. That's a feature. And one you won't get with that other type of imaging technology, no matter how much you spend...
    I would prefer same-day. I can, however, shiver with antici ... ... {SAY IT!} .. PATION for a few days. Two weeks is too long for me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just out of interest, I have one roll of Kodachrome left which I suppose I should use fairly soon. Does anyone in the UK know where I should send it?

Does it still get forwarded if I post it to the Wimbledon address on the envelope?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Just out of interest, I have one roll of Kodachrome left which I suppose I should use fairly soon. Does anyone in the UK know where I should send it?

Does it still get forwarded if I post it to the Wimbledon address on the envelope?

Steve.
    I drop my Kodachrome (vintage KM25 - prepaid processing) at the drugstore, which happens to be a Fuji lab. They send it to Fuji Canada, who forwards it to Kodak Canada, who send it to Dwayne's. Some weeks later, the process reverses, my drugstore scans and prints reference copies for me for about $6. A pretty good deal, if you ask me. The turnaround time is a bit of a bother, though.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post

Steve.
    I'm not sure if the Wimbledon address is still in use, but Kodak advise to use their address in Lausanne:

Laboratoire KODACHROME
    Case Postale
    Ch-1001 Lausanne
    Switzerland,
    CH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    I'm going to go a bit into "forbidden territory" here but I'm curious about which scanners you use?

I've never thought of asking for the slides to be processed unmounted. But if that will avoid "Dwayne Dust" I'd like to try it.

I use a Nikon 5000D - do you know if it will scan an unmounted strip of slide film using the neg film feeder?
    Imacon 949, if we're allowed to talk about it...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin