Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,058   Posts: 1,561,575   Online: 668

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm

Had it with Dwayne's/Kodachrome

Sadly, it's the end of an era for me.

After my last rant about the amount of crud on returned 35mm K64 slides, I opened another roll at the weekend. Yes, there were the usual specks that would need to be removed, but in fairness to Dwaynes, probably not as many as got my goat before.

Then..... looking at my seascapes, I couldn't believe that I'd managed to get the horizons quite as wonky as they seemed to be. As I looked further through the film, I realised that I was seeing not the edge of the window of the cardboard mount, but the edge of the film's picture area creeping down on one side. By about number 30, I was seeing the bottom of film perforations in the slide window! All of the negs seem to be skewed in the mounts, but the problem gets worse as the film progresses.

Words almost fail me. I have had E6 (and earlier E4) processing done at some of the most tin-pot local companies of days gone by and had some pretty "iffy" results from time to time, but at least they have always been mounted squarely (surely not a difficult operation compared to the intricacies of Kodachrome chemistry).

If Kodak don't kill off Kodachrome, then Dwaynes' apparently cavalier attitude to its processing most certainly will. I shot my first roll of Kodachrome on the Isle of Wight in 1973. In 2007, I have shot my last.

Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That's a pity. Look on the bright side though. Velvia 50 has just been re-released. Give that a try.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    I shot my first roll of Kodachrome on the Isle of Wight in 1973. In 2007, I have shot my last.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanasis View Post
    Look on the bright side though. Velvia 50 has just been re-released. Give that a try.
    Perhaps another trip to the Isle of Wight for your first roll of new Velvia 50!

I will buy your lunch and a beer.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Perhaps another trip to the Isle of Wight for your first roll of new Velvia 50!

I will buy your lunch and a beer.

Steve.
    Careful - I might hold you to that!

I remember the occasion well. Previously my meagre pocket money only allowed me to use Boots Colour Slide Film, but I'd run out. I went into a "proper" photographic shop pleading poverty and the assistant took pity on me. He produced a roll of Kodachrome II which lacked its mailing envelope and let me have it for half price! With Kodachrome only sold including processing in the UK, that wasn't an issue. I still have the slides (somewhere!), some of which show the coloured bands of sand at Alum Chine. I also collected samples of the sand, which I think is now frowned upon if not illegal!

Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I also collected samples of the sand, which I think is now frowned upon if not illegal!
    It's frowned upon but I don't think it's illegal. I was there a few weeks ago and they have posts and tape around the base of the cliff warning people not to touch it. I don't think they own it though as it is part of the beach.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recently got back 26 rolls, while most looked great, one had been cut wrong on a few frames. They gave me a new roll.

Guys, this is life whether you like it or not. Grant Steinle does listen, this little lab in the middle of Kansas is trying to keep up and does care about quality control. Heck, they even mark my K-25 on the bag so I can keep it separate.

So go ahead and use your garish and gross Velvia for your faked out photos of some foggy coastline, if that is what you need.

This is the end of Kodachrome, this is hard, it will go in the next few years on the outside. But I for one will keep shooting it and shooting it until the lab closes. Some one has to, even if it means I get a buggy roll once and awhile.

Grant, I hope you are reading this, bad press is not good press and the folks on here seem to have no problem furthering Kodachrome's demise to feel better about them selves ( not necessarily the original poster )...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If there's a processing problem that happens repeatedly, I think it's fair to issue a warning to fellow photographers.

When I get time to spend with my camera, the last thing I want is failure on the processing. I understand it happens intermittently, which is fair; humans are involved in the process and things go wrong. But there are now two threads on problems with this outfit. How is that not relevant information to other photographers?

I'm not trying to start a flame war here, I am not, I am just trying to put things in perspective to the best of my ability. I had a film cunundrum happen on me not too long ago with some damaged b&w roll film. I have to go through all sorts of digital treatments in order to print these cleanly. Some people depend on reliability from film processors to get consistent results. Once again, this might save someone a lot of trouble of re-shooting important shots.

My two cents.

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I recently got back 26 rolls, while most looked great, one had been cut wrong on a few frames. They gave me a new roll.

Guys, this is life whether you like it or not. Grant Steinle does listen, this little lab in the middle of Kansas is trying to keep up and does care about quality control. Heck, they even mark my K-25 on the bag so I can keep it separate.

So go ahead and use your garish and gross Velvia for your faked out photos of some foggy coastline, if that is what you need.

This is the end of Kodachrome, this is hard, it will go in the next few years on the outside. But I for one will keep shooting it and shooting it until the lab closes. Some one has to, even if it means I get a buggy roll once and awhile.

Grant, I hope you are reading this, bad press is not good press and the folks on here seem to have no problem furthering Kodachrome's demise to feel better about them selves ( not necessarily the original poster )...
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I still have the slides (somewhere!), some of which show the coloured bands of sand at Alum Chine. I also collected samples of the sand, which I think is now frowned upon if not illegal!

Steve
    I'm sure you remember the glass ornaments filled with layers of coloured sand that they used to (and no doubt still do) sell at Alum Bay. Here are a couple of pictures my father took in 1968 of the quarry near Brighstone where the sand to fill the ornaments came from.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nord_modular/119981196/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/nord_modular/119981534/

And yes, the originals are on Kodachrome!

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Got back a few rolls this morning.
    First one had the 'do not cut, do not mount' order ignored.
    Not a big deal.
    They look beautiful.
    It's a sad day coming...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan160 View Post
    I'm sure you remember the glass ornaments filled with layers of coloured sand that they used to (and no doubt still do) sell at Alum Bay. Here are a couple of pictures my father took in 1968 of the quarry near Brighstone where the sand to fill the ornaments came from.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nord_modular/119981196/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/nord_modular/119981534/

And yes, the originals are on Kodachrome!

Ian
    Yes, Ian, I certainly remember glass lighthouses filled with coloured stripes of sand. I didn't know that the stuff was extracted from a quarry as well. Great photos - thanks very much for posting them.

Steve

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin