Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,411   Online: 760

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We are fortunate enough in Tucson to have two local labs who do excellent E-6 processing. The one I prefer is http://www.photographicworks.com/. Jones photo is the other and I have no complaint with them but Photoworks is closer and I like the people who work there.

I don't know if Jones does out of state work but I know Photoworks does. I have never had and issue with them on the quality of their processing.
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=10716
    http://home.comcast.net/~rem700a/westviews.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dwaynes? Why on GAWDS green earth would anyone send anything to them when there are so many better places? A&I in CA, Duggal in NYC, Gamma in Chicago, Elevator in Toronto, Metro in the London, DR5, etc....

If there is one film lab I hope goes bankrupt, it's Dwayne's.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    Dwaynes? Why on GAWDS green earth would anyone send anything to them when there are so many better places? A&I in CA, Duggal in NYC, Gamma in Chicago, Elevator in Toronto, Metro in the London, DR5, etc....

Regards, Art.
    There's no problem finding quality "mailer" service, but if you want "walk in, drop it off, and pick it up" service, there's no guarantee of its availability even in large metropolitan areas.

For example, the Boston, MA metro area is more than 3 million people but there is no processor anywhere near the city I would trust with my E-6. In fact, I'd say one outfit - Dorian Color Labs - seems to be handling most of the market and as the competition has closed up shop they have really let their outfit go to hell in a handbasket as far as QC goes...

It's gotten to the point that every time I visit NYC (about 4-6 times a year), I drive down with my exposed E-6, drop it off with a friend who gets it taken to Gamma for me, and then pick it up on my next trip. I absolutely will not use local processing in Boston and the mailers are simply devoured at my apartment complex's management office...

Makes me glad I'm mostly shooting B&W these days...I sure do miss being able to walk into the National Geographic Imaging Lab in DC back when lived in Arlington, VA a few years ago.
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have had some 4x5 and 8x10 E-6 done at NewLab in the SF Bay Area with always good results. I don't need the service very often, but when I do, it is good to know they are there. It is just a few hundred miles down the road from me.

Vaughn

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post

Regards, Art.
    Art,

I never "chose" Dwayne's. As of July 1, 2006 Fujifilm announced that all Fujichrome mailers should be sent to Dwayne's (or else if sent to them they would forward to Dwayne's).

Sadly for me, I had just bought a bunch of mailers when this change occurred. So I am "stuck" with Dwyane's for a while yet unless I want to "eat" the cost of the mailers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For example, the Boston, MA metro area is more than 3 million people but there is no processor anywhere near the city I would trust with my E-6. In fact, I'd say one outfit - Dorian Color Labs - seems to be handling most of the market and as the competition has closed up shop they have really let their outfit go to hell in a handbasket as far as QC goes...
    In Franklin, MA, I used Village Photo for my E6 and had no complaints. They do it themselves and only about twice a week, but at least someone's doing it. I have no idea if they do mail order, but they're just off 495 at exit 17 by Panera Bread in the Stop n Shop Plaza. Someone up by Lowell does E6, too, but they charge a lot (about $15 a roll).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Carl's Darkroom does E-6 processing and that's it. That is their business. I'm willing to ship my film cross-country to a lab like this. Their pricing is not bloated like other labs who charge $10 to $15 just because they can. $6.65 per roll of 36 exposure slide film is what they charge and they ship the same day if they receive it by 2 PM (their time). First time customers get 10% off the first order and any order over $100 is shipped free. http://www.carlsdarkroom.com/

Like I mentioned in my earlier message, I used Dwayne's for Kodachrome because I had to, and they did a good job with those rolls. I still have some Kodachrome and the negative comments about Dwayne's on this thread makes me nervous, but, what else can I do......besides selling the rolls on eBay for more than what I paid for them?

Locally, here in the Ann Arbor, Michigan area, we have two labs who do E-6. One charges a little over $10 and the other charges about $15. I've had color problems with both labs with maybe 1 out of 10 rolls because they're not consistantly keeping their chemicals fresh. I have to use these local labs because, occasionally, my clients require a fast turnaround time. The only thing I can do is use negative film more often, or, learn how to do E-6 myself. Digital is a last resort². -Marc

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmSprocket View Post

Like I mentioned in my earlier message, I used Dwayne's for Kodachrome because I had to, and they did a good job with those rolls. I still have some Kodachrome and the negative comments about Dwayne's on this thread makes me nervous, but, what else can I do......besides selling the rolls on eBay for more than what I paid for them?

..... -Marc
    Marc,

My advice - dump 'em. Take the money and buy Velvia 50.

I loved K-chrome and it was my favorite film for many, many years. But it is obsolete and the entire planet is now down to Dwayne's to process it.

And from they way they're now mishandling it - it's clear they want to be rid of it too.

I ordered and shot five rolls a year and a half ago as a farewell to a great film - kind of a send off to a old friend. It was fun to do so - but I don't mourn it disappearing.

After all, the processing is environmentally unfriendly and there are newer alternatives that give us those "nice bright colors".

Besides, freeing yourself from K-chrome means freeing yourself from Dwayne's!

EDIT: BTW I think one reason why the K-chrome processing has gone to crap at Dwayne's is that they have the Fuji biz keeping them in gravy. Oh, and thanks for the info on Carl's - it's been bookmarked!
    Last edited by copake_ham; 10-02-2007 at 06:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Marc,

My advice - dump 'em. Take the money and buy Velvia 50.

I loved K-chrome and it was my favorite film for many, many years. But it is obsolete and the entire planet is now down to Dwayne's to process it.

And from they way they're now mishandling it - it's clear they want to be rid of it too.

I ordered and shot five rolls a year and a half ago as a farewell to a great film - kind of a send off to a old friend. It was fun to do so - but I don't mourn it disappearing.

After all, the processing is environmentally unfriendly and there are newer alternatives that give us those "nice bright colors".

Besides, freeing yourself from K-chrome means freeing yourself from Dwayne's!
    Yep, I think you're absolutely right on all points.

I guess now, out of curiosity, I'll have to look at my pages of Kodachrome slides to see what my very last shot was taken with this great film.

Thank you,

Marc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    If you want a source in the East, Concord Camera in Concord NH does E-6 35 and 120. Everything they've done for me has been perfect. I get mine unmounted, so I can't comment on that, but they are a small shop and have clearly experienced people running the machines.
    For me they are local, I don't know what they would do about mail orders, though other shops in the area send E-6 to them.
    Their web site is http://www.concordcamera.com/ note, be careful of the URL.
    I have no affiliation with them other than satisfied customer.
    Oh, lord, not those guys...

I was working a contracting project in early May, 2003 when I sent these guys some E-6 from my trip to Denmark a few weeks earlier. Well, they had an issue with their line and promptly sent it South to...Dorian Color...who promptly proceeded to absolutely butcher them with deep scratches.

Believe me...Concord would have been better off simply telling me the slides were lost then what they handed back to me. Their excuse was that they normally never send anything out to be processed, but they were doing me a favor by trying to meet the promised date.

The resulting noise I made in that store was probably the direct cause of the Old Man in the Mountain falling off Cannon Mountain later that day!
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin