Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,937   Posts: 1,585,634   Online: 735

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by aldevo View Post
    For example, the Boston, MA metro area is more than 3 million people but there is no processor anywhere near the city I would trust with my E-6.
    Have you tried Newtonville Camera? I grew up in that area and never had a problem with them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aldevo View Post
    For example, the Boston, MA metro area is more than 3 million people but there is no processor anywhere near the city I would trust with my E-6. In fact, I'd say one outfit - Dorian Color Labs - seems to be handling most of the market and as the competition has closed up shop they have really let their outfit go to hell in a handbasket as far as QC goes...
    I was back home in Boston over the summer and it was shocking. Dorian's in Arlington, right? I've heard a few complaints about them (haven't used them myself, though.) Calumet recommended a place on The Cape that was supposed to do good E-6.

The whole scene in Boston was so pathetic I took all my E-6 and B&W back home to Japan and had them done here (two bulging x-ray bags in my bag had the TSAs interested.) Fuji & Kodak did a great job on all of them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Look at this filth!

Sorry to have to revive this thread but I just got back a roll of Velvia 100F from Dwayne's - which now does all the Fujichrome mailers (of which I still have a bunch).

Look at how filthy this slide is! It was only taken from the box for scanning - it has come directly from Dwayne's.

This is a rip-off operation to send out finished product like this!
    Last edited by copake_ham; 04-26-2008 at 12:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    George,

On the bright side Dwayne's motivated me to first start processing Black & White film again. Then Dwayne's screwed up some more of my processing order and that motivated me to set up my bathroom into a convertible wet darkroom and my den into a convertible dry darkroom. I have built two window blackout devices, brought a large adjustable height table, an Omega D5XLSuper Chromega [35mm, 120, 4x5] enlarger with voltage control and timer unit, two 6 element Rodenstock lenses, an Omega Arkay Dual-Dri Table Top Print Dryer, a paper rotary trimmer, four enlarging easels, safe lights, bottles, trays, film processing tanks, and chemicals. A few more things and I will start my own Black & white printing; C-41 color processing and printing will come later.

So good things can come from Dwanye's processing screw-ups.

Take your lemons and make lemon-ade.

Steve
    Last edited by Sirius Glass; 11-28-2007 at 12:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got a roll of PKR back from Dwaynes recently, and it was perfect, as have been all of my rolls from them. Ok, there is a bit of dust from the cardbaord mounts, but a quick bit of air from a blower brush gets rid of that. I prefer the cardbaord mounts, so it small price to pay in my mind.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Sorry to have to revive this thread but I just got back a roll of Velvia 100F from Dwayne's - which now does all the Fujichrome mailers (of which I still have a bunch).

Look at how filthy this slide is! It was only taken from the box for scanning - it has come directly from Dwayne's.

This is a rip-off operation to send out finished product like this!
    You're lucky! I wish the rolls of Kodachrome that Dwaynes processed for me back in the summer had "only" been that bad. Dirt, crud, squiffy mounting and scratches in abundance all contributed to me abandoning Kodachrome and selling my small remaining stock of K25 (a healthy return for my investment!) Throughout the thread(s) on Dwayne's there have been various attempts/offers to get the firm to comment but nothing has been forthcoming. I can only assume that they are keeping their collective heads down, but they won't last long if they turn out work such as we've experienced.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    You're lucky! I wish the rolls of Kodachrome that Dwaynes processed for me back in the summer had "only" been that bad. Dirt, crud, squiffy mounting and scratches in abundance all contributed to me abandoning Kodachrome and selling my small remaining stock of K25 (a healthy return for my investment!) Throughout the thread(s) on Dwayne's there have been various attempts/offers to get the firm to comment but nothing has been forthcoming. I can only assume that they are keeping their collective heads down, but they won't last long if they turn out work such as we've experienced.

Steve
    Luxury! They had stomped all over my K64, sprinkled it with bird feces and had me fired from my job. Just kidding. I couldn't resist as the thread was starting to sound like a Monty Python skit.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got some film back from Dwayne's recently - K25, 64 & 200. 8 rolls total plus a roll of K40 super 8. Processing was good & all film was clean & done just as I asked. I've given them several orders with no problems & will continue to use them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A friend of mine shot her last roll of kodachrome recently, and asked me to scan the resulting slides, as I have a dedicated film scanner.
    I was amazed at how badly they were handled. I finished up demounting about 11 of them from the cardboard mounts, as they were badly skewed in the mounts.
    All of the slides were dirty and needed a lot of cleaning and then retouching.
    I'm sad to say it's probably the worst film processing/handling I've ever seen
    Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. :D

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Luxury! They had stomped all over my K64, sprinkled it with bird feces and had me fired from my job. Just kidding. I couldn't resist as the thread was starting to sound like a Monty Python skit.
    So you think YOU had it hard!!
    They actually digitised mine and emailed them to me as a RAW file (whatever THAT is!)

Steve ;-)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin