Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,225   Posts: 1,532,663   Online: 833

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Just plaine had it with Dwayne's B&W, C-41, ...

I just read Steve Robert's "Had it with Dwayne's/Kodachrome" and I agree! Black and white, color - it does not matter. They are in their own world!

I request 35mm cut into strips of 6 and 120 cut into strips of 4. Some times they can do it; some times they can't.

I send in rolls of UC 400 in 35mm and 120 which were taken at the same time. The 120 has blue skies and the 35mm has turquoise skies. They said just send it back and they will reprint it. The mailing costs to me are greater than the processing costs of one roll of film.

I just went to Freestyle this weekend and brought tanks and chemicals. I am doing it myself from now on. For the moment I will scan the negatives and have CostCo print them. For big enlargements, I will still go to my custom photo finishers!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I am afraid it has come to that. I got back 20 rolls of 120 color from them and... lets just say, I won't ever do that again...

Good thing I have a JOBO or two...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I called Dwayne's today and complained about their botching two jobs in a row and that I was also tired of paying the postage. They said this time they would pay me back for the postage.

Then I told them about the bad press that they were getting here and that in the past people, including me, used to recommend them. They said that they would have a supervisor visit APUG.

I will wait and see what happens, but I have started developing my film myself.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It's worse than you "blokes" realize over there where you still have alternatives for E-6.

Back here in the USA, both Fuji and Kodak now direct all of their E-6 chrome mailers to Dwayne's.

It just took 3 weeks for me to get back one roll of Velvia 100F (which had my APUG 5th Anniversary shot) and it's full of the usual black dust specks etc.

I've still got a half dozen Fuji mailers to get through.

And you want to hear the real kicker? The add insult to injury kicker?

I've now learned that, apparently due to a change in postal rates, instead of two first class stamps (i.e. US$ 0.82) I now have to pay a parcel rate of US$ 1.30 for the privilege of having them trash my slides!

I'd think that F and K were trying to get rid of slide film by using Dwayne's - but then I wonder - why did F just introduce the new Velvia 50?

Anyway, once I get done with these mailers it's goodbye to Dwayne's!

There HAS to be someone else in the USA who processes E-6!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's been a couple of years since I last used Dwayne's. I used them only for Kodachrome processing and they did a good job.

Currently, I send my non-urgent E-6 slide film to Carl's Darkroom in New Mexico. They do excellent work at a reasonable price. http://www.carlsdarkroom.com/

Marc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

E-6 saviour!

Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    It's worse than you "blokes" realize over there where you still have alternatives for E-6.

Back here in the USA, both Fuji and Kodak now direct all of their E-6 chrome mailers to Dwayne's.

It just took 3 weeks for me to get back one roll of Velvia 100F (which had my APUG 5th Anniversary shot) and it's full of the usual black dust specks etc.

I've still got a half dozen Fuji mailers to get through.

I've now learned that, apparently due to a change in postal rates, instead of two first class stamps (i.e. US$ 0.82) I now have to pay a parcel rate of US$ 1.30 for the privilege of having them trash my slides!

I'd think that F and K were trying to get rid of slide film by using Dwayne's - but then I wonder - why did F just introduce the new Velvia 50?

Anyway, once I get done with these mailers it's goodbye to Dwayne's!

We do! Try www.newlab.com--if you send it to my attention (Matt) and mention APUG, you will get 10% off! We still run lots of E-6 and C-41--both get multiple control strips per day to make sure the chemistry is perfect. If it's processing only, we turn film around same day for shipping. Push/Pull by 1/8th stops...

I'm not trying to be a total salesman here, but here is a shot to have a DIRECT connection with someone in the lab. I'm a big fan of APUG (and thus APUGgers!) and I am more than willing to personally take calls, handle shipping...anything it takes to help fellow analog shooters going. When you run out of mailers, give us a try.

Adios,

Matt
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want a source in the East, Concord Camera in Concord NH does E-6 35 and 120. Everything they've done for me has been perfect. I get mine unmounted, so I can't comment on that, but they are a small shop and have clearly experienced people running the machines.
    For me they are local, I don't know what they would do about mail orders, though other shops in the area send E-6 to them.
    Their web site is http://www.concordcamera.com/ note, be careful of the URL.
    I have no affiliation with them other than satisfied customer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A great source for E6 processing in the Midwest is Photos, Inc. They are located on Minnehaha Avenue in Minneapolis. I have not had a single dud from them for four years. They run what seems to be two batches per day, one morning and one afternoon due to declining demand. I just picked up two sheets of E6 and they were clean as a whistle.
    http://www.digidigi.com/
    Don't be discouraged by the web address... They really take good care of their reputation.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF

I think the postage rate Fuji (I mean Dwayne) is telling people on those little notes is conservatively high. I take them to the post office counter to get weighed and end up paying $1.13.

I've had good luck with DR5 when I need E6 and quality is more important than price. It's competitive with A&I and the film is nicely sleeved instead of rolled into a tiny tube with paper backing. (I normally get my film uncut.)

Shooter
    35mm
    for those of you in CT, Connecticut photographic in danbury, great results, same day turn around, plastic mounts if you want them, or cut to any length if you dont. They also do b/w but it can get pretty expensive.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin