Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,156   Online: 811

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Lowest grain Color neg (any compare to slide film?)

Been awhile since I've been here...have been shooting 35mm slides recently, and haven't shot any negative film in over a year. Mostly been using Velvia and Provia (I'm primarily into landscapes), with occasional Astia if it was people. Just shot a roll of K64, and actually kind of liked the color palette.

I'm interested in shooting some color negs again, specifically for more dynamic range. But I'd like to keep the grain down when enlarging - I scan on a KM 5400II. That's what I love so much about chromes is how much I can enlarge them and still get good detail, and not be overly grainy looking at 12x18, etc.

Any suggestions? I used to shoot Fuji Reala 100 when I wanted low grain before I got into slides...but looks like there's some new comers.
    I'm thinking specifically of the new Fuji Pro160 films. Any others I should try out, maybe Kodak portra 160 or Ultracolor 100?

Thanks for tips on your recent color neg experiences,
    Jed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot a lot of UC100. It has very fine grain, on a par with Reala if not finer. Reds can get oversaturated very easily, however, and it is quite contrasty. The new Portras have even finer grain, more normal contrast and color and scan beautifully. The NC varieties can sometimes seem a little muted, VC is nicely saturated but not as over the top as UC can get sometimes. I just picked up 10 rolls of 160VC at Adorama today and will be using it for fall color. If you get the Portra make sure it's the new stuff. Look for a red square on the box that says, "Now with finer grain" in five languages.
    Good luck.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The new Portra 160NC has very fine grain. This is the best scanning color neg film I have ever used bar none. I have not tried the new Fuji pro 160 s yet but I used to use NPS frequently for commercial architecture work and it's quite grainy compared to the new 160NC.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks, for the info. I used to shoot all Kodak film, and then last year got hooked on Fuji Chormes...nothing against Kodak, though, and wouldn't mind shooting Kodak negs if they're better than Fuji's neg film now.
    Is the Portra VC the same fine grain as the NC version? I only ask because coming from slide film now, I might appreciate the extra "oomph". :-)

I know Fuji NPS is the older version - wonder how the new Pro 160 compares to the new Portra - anyone done a comparison? (doesn't have to be a scientific test for me, aesthetic comparison if fine).
    One more thing - I order all my film through B&H - does anyone know if the Portra they have listed is the new stuff? (I would assume it is because of the amount of film they go through.)

Thanks,
    Jed

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    The fuji Pro160s is great. I switched from kodak a few years ago because the color was more vivid and i liked the tones better. The grain is also incredibly small. I can easily blow a 6x7 neg up to 30x40 with a minimal amount of grain. I cant really see grain on a 20x24 enlargement.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Alright, well I suppose in reality I'll just have to try both and see which I like best.
    But am I right in thinking that the general consensus is the portrait films are finer grain than either Reala or UC100? If so, I will get Portra NC/VC and Pro 160S/C and have a go with all 4 and see which is more pleasing to my eye. Just trying to push the limits of 35mm film as always! It's a lot of fun and a good challenge :-)
    Jed

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    The Fuji Reala has very tight grain. Actually, the Superia 200 has very fine grain too. Both are widely available.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    As you say you are scanning, then colour neg can appear to have more 'grain' than transparency. It is something known as grain aliasing and some scanners and films are more susceptable than others.

There are software solutions to remedy this (Neat Image, Noise Ninja etc). Hybridphoto.com is the place where you'll find answers and fuller discussion on the matter.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin