Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,621   Online: 868

Thread: C-41 fixer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was using a c-41 kit that had the fix and bleach separate and was wondering what kind of fixer was in it. Can ordinary rapid fix be used in its place or will this cause problems down the line?
    Gary Beasley

Amongst the cornfields & rednecks of central Indiana
    Usually, C-41 fixer for blix is not the same as B&W fix. At least not exactly. There is less of a buffering agent in B&W fix. In c-41 fix, usually Sodium Bisulfite, Ammonium sulfite, and ammonium bisulfite are the key reagents. B&W fix usually uses Ammonium thiosulfate and sodium sulfite for the key reagents.

I have used my Ilford Universal fixer in place of the fixer component in Tetenal RA-4 blix, but not for film. For E-6, the fixer is fairly close and I've mixed and matched a bit.

I wouldn't recommend it for C-41, the fixing is more critical in C-41 than in paper.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (docholliday @ Mar 7 2003, 12:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    I have used my Ilford Universal fixer in place of the fixer component in Tetenal RA-4 blix, but not for film. For E-6, the fixer is fairly close and I&#39;ve mixed and matched a bit.
    </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Out of curiosity - which Tetenal RA-4 "Kit" uses a "split" Bleach-fix?

Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Amongst the cornfields & rednecks of central Indiana
    It&#39;s not split, it just comes in two bottles, and you mix them into blix before using. It&#39;s the Professional PK RA-4.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This stuff was actually supposed to be used as two separate baths. Got it from a guy in Quebec.
    Gary Beasley

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin