Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,228   Online: 1055

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Burlington Camera - Ontario - ra4 deal

I found an excuse to swing by my favourite haunt on the way home tonight to pick up some more MGIV.44 , becuase I have a big gang of young actors coming over in a few weeks to do a marathon headshot session with.

I thought to ask what RA was around - and it was worth the ask.
    100 8x10 glossy Supra Endura - they are clearing a bunch out. I bought two boxes at $20 each, and Joan threw in a third box for free. Usually I prefer N or E to F surface, but in this case the price was too right.

There was alos a never openned pack of old stock 25 8x10 Kodabromide E3 sw that I picked up for $2.

And there is still a good stock of paper and chemistry and analog film in stock here. That is why it is one of my favourite photo supply shops. That said, I also stocked up from B&H this week, and while they have great prices, the $35 for courier, and $36 for brokerage does tend to take a bit of a shine off thier stuff for Canadian shoppers, even if the slumping US currency has me cross border e-bay bidding more eagerly these days.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    ... and $36 for brokerage...
    Don't pay the brokerage fee.
    It's a gimmick from the UPS to charge extra costs and make money. After all, how come you have to pay "brokerage fee" when there's a free trade agreement between both countries? If you don't pay the charge, the package will be returned to the customs house where you'll have to pay the taxes that applies to your order.

Or better yet, when you order, ask the package to be shipped via USPS: a few more days to wait, but no scam and no surprises.

Marc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The Customs House...and shippign charges

Here in Toronto area the customs warehouse is located down near Queens Quay , and is a major hassle to get to. I would willingly pay $30 to have someone go there and get something back to my house.

I was not aware that B&H ships USPS. I will look for that option next time. Then I have to go to my local Canada Post to pay the GST, PST and I think $5 for them to give me the priviledge of collecting these taxes.

Typically why I surf ebay, craigslist, etc. locally but Henrys' my local wanted $5.3 for what B&H sells for $3.65 which is quite a spread when I wanted 20 rolls. Plus B&H list colur paper on the web site. Henrys doesn't; it's special order, and getting to the person who wants to take a special order and then ship it to you is a PIA with Henrys.

As I move to well and truly to middle age I am almost happy to pay the shipping at times. I am pleased to spend $6 to have the guys across town (KBH - good guys) mail me a couple of spare bulbs for the enlarger, because when will I finfd time to get there when they are open.

On the other hand I will make exceptions. I drove 3 hours round trip to a guy in an old warehouse in Waterloo on Friday afternoon to look at and then buy lighting and background stuff that a guy sells on ebay (Studio 98). He online quotes $25 to $50 per item to ship (and the stuff is heavy, I will admit) But I picked up a 13' wide 9" high background support stand, 2 9' light stands, 2 reflector holding arms with clamps, and 2 -5 in 1 collasible reflectors (42" round and 42x55" oblong) all up with taxes $300. This beats paying the shipping by a mile.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Mike for spilling the secret Just kidding, if you are an Apuger in the West end of the GTA, Hamilton and the Niagara region, it's worth the drive to Burlington.

The folks at Burlington Camera have been great helping out the Oakville Camera Club with our first competition and they deserve our business.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin