Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,339   Online: 837

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

C41 and RA 4 Blix. Are they compatible?

I have just bought a color analog minilab (Kis MAgnum pro) and chemicals at tetenal. I have choosen Ergotype RA4 products. My question is the following: I have C41 developer, but no blix. CAN I use RA4 blix to develop in C41 or not? Are they compatible?
    Thanks for your help
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know specifically about this Kis machine but its highly unlikely. With Kodak, Fuji & Noritsu processors the C41 units always take separate Bleach and Fixer solution.

Contact Tetenal they are very helpful, and their chemistry is excellent.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 10-20-2007 at 04:51 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The paper blix is much more dilute than a 'normal' C41 blix for film. There is about 3x the silver in film or more, than there is for paper. In addition, most blixes are rather poor when used on color film anyway, as they degrade the image by leaving some silver behind.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    FWIW, Paterson used to sell a "universal" blix, intended for use with both film and paper. It was diluted more for paper than for film. I don't know if you could use a concentrated paper blix from another manufacturer and dilute it less for successful use on film, though. Besides, I personally have gotten better results from separate bleach and fixer for C-41 than from either of the two blixes I've tried (Paterson's and a mix-it-yourself formula). Therefore, I recommend you buy some C-41 bleach and fixer.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin