Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,010   Posts: 1,524,632   Online: 988

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    And, on a related note, I declare vanilla ice cream to be better than chocolate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With so many great films out there, personally I don't see how folks can go with one maker only and shun the others. To me that's really doing oneself a dis-service (I'm thinking of the big three here: Kodak, Fuji & Ilford - in no particular order.)

I shoot 99% black and white now, and there are so many great films to choose from: Acros, Presto, TMAX, Tri-X, Delta and Pan F Plus. For color film you've got Velvia, Elite Chrome, E100vs, Portra, Fortia, etc, etc.

Just go out and shoot, I say
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Dfan View Post
    And, on a related note, I declare vanilla ice cream to be better than chocolate.
    Yes But can it match the grain structure of hokey pokey at er... 68F?

Seriously though...i love some Kodak films (particularly Tri-X) and I am glad that they still make them and they are readily available even though i prefer Fuji for colour trannies. I agree with the poster who suggested that it should not be an either/or proposition.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I wonder what he has to say about Agfa?

PE
    Most of the latest Agfa consumer films were neither remarkably good or bad. Agfa's print films allow scanning quite well, but grain is - especially in thin areas - more pronounced than of Kodak's and Fuji's equivalents (Superia/Press 800 is less grainy than Agfa Vista 200, not to mention Vista 800).

CT Precisa 100/RSX II 100 shows nice saturated and neutral colors, but relatively poor sharpness and resolution; scanning at 5400 dpi results only in lost disk space. RSX II 200 was acceptable only for medium format. Apparently Agfa never moved forward into the fine grain and thin-layer emulsion casting technology as Fuji first did with Velvia (and Kodak lately with the E 100 G/GX family), and "pepper grain" remained noticeable even in the last film generation.

Agfa films were widely sold at discount prices as generic brands. Now Kodak fills this gap. Fuji sells discount films as well (especially a Fujicolor Z 200 print film), although I don't know anything about these. Data sheets aren't available for such products.

I have read in a comparison to Fuji Crystal Archive that Agfa's photo paper wasn't very stable to fading. In general it seems that Agfa's technology was at least 10 years behind its competitors (in slide films at least), so it is no wonder that they finally gave up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz_Anderle View Post
    In the ISO 100 class, Ektachrome 100VS/Elitechrome 100 Extra Color would urgently need a specific IT8.7 calibration profile to eliminate the amber/purple color shift, which limits its use. The oldtimers Ektachrome 100 and 100 Plus (the professional equivalent to E 100 HC) would today deserve attention just for curiosity. So from my view only the Elitechrome 100/Ektachrome 100 G/GX family can stand the comparison to the current Fuji slide films. Kodak's modern slide films scan well and are - just as the current Fuji counterparts - free of "pepper grain".
    Interesting post, but I had to pick up on the reference to E100VS having an amber/purple colour shift; I've never noticed this with a properly exposed and developed roll of E100VS. Is this some piece of 'common knowledge' I need to pick up on so placebo effect can convince me (a bit like "Velvia is good")?

You also touch on but then ignore something which is important in this day and age though - scannability. In my experience, all the current Ektachrome films scan far more easily than the Fuji reversal films.

At the end of the day it's about personal preference. I have no love for Velvia (this makes me a leper to begin with, I know) - despite having a freezer full of the stuff, I go out and buy E100VS rather than shoot the Velvia. Astia I'm entirely undecided on - I'm trying but failing to like it, and will fall back to E100G or GX in the same sort of shooting situations.

But, Provia 100X is an excellent film and my 'go to' slide film, and my very limited experience of Provia 400X so far suggests that it's a film I could fall in love with.

Or in other words, why hitch your wagon to only one star? OK, I'm a novice photographer - I've only been shooting slide film for about 9 months - but I've tried a fair few and more or less settled on E100GX, E100VS and Provia giving me the palette I need.

About the only complaint I have about Kodak is (a) the cost and (b) the difficulty of getting hold of sheet film.
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    I would have KILLED for today's film, any brand, back when I first got into photography! The combination of 70s glass and 21st. century film is a sweet spot that is hard to beat!

I do tend to prefer Big Green over Big Yellow in many cases, but I have some favorites on the K side of the divide as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have to say I love them all.
    Kodak favorites: Tri-X, Portra of all kinds
    Fuji favorites: Neopan 400, Provia 100 and 400, Superia 200 of all things
    Agfa favorites: RSX 100 (still have half a box of 4x5), APX 100 & 25 (come back to us please!)
    Konica made good slide film.
    I don't pick favorites among brands, all of them have excellent offerings.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I could only pick one film comapny it would be Kodak. I don't have to pick one company and never will.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Because of their business practices and attitude towards those of us who used to support them by buying products... I wouldn't buy Kodak ever again.
    They used to be a good company and provided actual support and products we could use. Now they discontinue Azo when they were the only supplier worldwide of a contact printing paper... that NEVER lost money in sales for them. Always made a profit, just not a high enough profit recently for the stockholders. Piss on the B&W printer is the attitude at Kodak. Piss on them all, not just the Azo users.

So... piss on Kodak.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by WarEaglemtn View Post
    Because of their business practices and attitude towards those of us who used to support them by buying products... I wouldn't buy Kodak ever again.
    They used to be a good company and provided actual support and products we could use. Now they discontinue Azo when they were the only supplier worldwide of a contact printing paper... that NEVER lost money in sales for them. Always made a profit, just not a high enough profit recently for the stockholders. Piss on the B&W printer is the attitude at Kodak. Piss on them all, not just the Azo users.

So... piss on Kodak.
    Care to produce any evidence that EK has made money on Azo at any point in the last half-century?

Didn't think so.
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin