Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,572   Posts: 1,646,624   Online: 1023

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by WarEaglemtn View Post
    Because of their business practices and attitude towards those of us who used to support them by buying products... I wouldn't buy Kodak ever again.
    They used to be a good company and provided actual support and products we could use. Now they discontinue Azo when they were the only supplier worldwide of a contact printing paper... that NEVER lost money in sales for them. Always made a profit, just not a high enough profit recently for the stockholders. Piss on the B&W printer is the attitude at Kodak. Piss on them all, not just the Azo users.

So... piss on Kodak.
    ...and what do you call the documentation that Kodak has freely available on line for every product they market, chickenshit? IMO, they have the best documentation in the business, and they have documentation available for many discontinued products as well. I've never had the need to call them, but I hear that if you do call the help line, you get a real human. If that's not customer support, what is?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I dread and hope the day never comes when film really is "dead". But I am fairly confident that Kodak will be "the last to leave the building" if that day ever comes.

And I also think that we here at APUG have to get smart. We need to embrace Kodak, just as much as we already do with Ilford and should also do with Fuji. Simply put, we NEED them - but they also NEED us.

It's long past time that we got over the "digital abandonment disappointment" and started a positive dialouge with Kodak and Fuji.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post

And I also think that we here at APUG have to get smart. We need to embrace Kodak, just as much as we already do with Ilford and should also do with Fuji. Simply put, we NEED them - but they also NEED us.

It's long past time that we got over the "digital abandonment disappointment" and started a positive dialouge with Kodak and Fuji.
    Dear George,

exactly, that's it. Very well said.

Best regards,
    Jana

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Mr. Perez' policies have paid off and have made conventional analog products more profitable. The plant is now running at or near capacity after the reductions in force and in shutting down obsolete equipment.

So, they are able to bring new products to the marketplace in analog photography.
    I'm really glad to hear that. I was afraid that Kodak was just going to milk the existing lines until they were no longer viable and then bail.

Shooter
    35mm
    So, they are able to bring new products to the marketplace in analog photography. PE
    Will Kodak catch up in the high-speed slide film-class (400 ASA) and bring an equivalent to Fuji's Provia 400X to the market?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If they apply 2 electron sensitization and do it profitably, they might! IDK.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodachrome is one of the hardest films of all to scan due to its peculiar unit neutral. The cyan dye is very odd in curve shape and this gives the unique colors, but makes a neutral and a good color match hard.
    It does have unique colours, that I quite like. Skies on K64 are kind of weak (25 was much better), but it excels at red, and the rem-jet backing is a Good Thing.

I shoot lots of trains, and backing on Kodachrome takes care of the train headlights quite nicely. There is a phrase in railfan circles called "FHB" or “Fuji Headlight Blob" for the secondary image on the film of the headlights that Fuji slide films produce. It's never there on Kodachrome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    One of the reasons why I said I'm coming to love Portra as color neg film is its scannability.
    I tried some recently based on the favourable comments here, and the results exceeded my expectations, it came out very nicely indeed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have now really homed in the following:

Kodak Portra NC for weddings - 160 when I've got the light, otherwise the 400, in both 135 and 120

Kodak Ektachrome E100G for travel - although on a recent trip to India I used a lot of Velvia 100, but that was because I had got my hands on a very cheap box of it.

I do love the natural colours and skin tones of Portra.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I haven't used positive film for years, and when I did it was Kodachrome. But in the mid 90's I tried Agfa RSX 100 and was amazed! So clear and neutral colours! Is was like clear spring water compared to chlorinated tap water.

I have a couple of boxes of Agfa Optima negative film in 120 in my freezer, but sometimes wish I bought more of the RSX in 135,

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin