Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,691   Posts: 1,482,381   Online: 727

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Silver Pixel RA4 Chemistry

Any experience with RA4 Chemistry with a brand name of Silver Pixel from a large west coast mail order house? I've been a dedicated user of Kodak RA4 3.8 liter kits for many years but am having trouble getting them via internet ordering due to the shipping hazards. My local camera store dealer doesn't stock anymore and he charges me full list plus to special order. The prices of the above Silver Pixel in larger kits is significantly lower than the last two Kodak kits I managed to order.

From what I've been able to determine so far the manufacturer is in Michigan so that would be keeping with wanting to continue being a faithful customer of "hometown" manufacturers.

Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm

Silverpixel / Photocolor

Dear Larry !!

If I'm not completly wrong Kodak had aparted from making it's photochemicals. A company called "champion" will do it further on.

But have a look to the Freestyle Site, they do offer this stuff too.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_pro...=1004&pid=5888

They do have a data sheet with mixing Instruktions
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/pdf/Silver_Pixel_RA4.pdf

and MSDS for the Color Developer
    https://www.freestylephoto.biz/pdf/m...ix_RA4_Dev.pdf

It's not possible to get the entire reciept, but at least the right Developing Agent (CD-3) is used, in opposite to "Fotospeed mono RA4" which uses CD-4.
    Lithiumsulfate, Diethylhydroxylamine and TEA are present too. Definatly no odorless, more a "conventional (in the best meaning)" formular. Give it a try, 32 Bucks for 20 Ltr. replenisher seems to be a good price.

By the way, this is replenisher, actual you need a tiny ammount of starter to convert it to a seasoned solution.

Regards,
    Stefan

Shooter
    35mm RF

Freestyle and Silver Pixel RA4 Chemistry

Thanks for the information on the internal formulations. Not using CD-4 and needing a starter is good information. Have a friend that has a "lifetime supply" of starter for Kodak RA-4 RT kits but will have to checkout the Silver Pixel closer. Do not recall see starter mentioned.

Freestyle is where I was looking to order it and you are right in that the price is much lower than Kodak's at Adorama. I've ordered these kits from Adorama in the past. Some research I did find in addition is that Adorama's charges for shipping are lower than Freestyle's - in this case significantly. The total cost gap for two 10L kits in one order was less than 10%, unless I did the "shopping cart" programs wrong.

Hate to see Kodak selling off so much of their photo business - I started doing color printing in 1975 via a condenser enlarger with a filter tray - printing slides onto Ektachrome 1993 paper. Hopefully, APUG and others can keep wet photography going. It is interesting that many of the internet sites for processing prints are taking in digital files but printing onto wet chemistry paper. Hopefully, that will keep things around for a while.

Shooter
    35mm

Kodak Ra-4 RT / Silver Pixel RA-4 RT

Dear Larry !!

It seems that this sad history is repeating, the (forced) bancruptcy from AGFA here in Germany still makes me headache. A whole Industry is cutting off it's roots, hope the stockholders get happy at least...

But back to your chemicals, a quick check to the mixing instructions from my kodak RA-4 RT says:
    Developer replenisher: 50 ml Part A, 35 ml Part B( US Version 22ml Part B) and 50 ml part C to one litre.

Developer in working strenght:
    800 ml replenisher, Water 175 ml, Starter 25 ml

Similar numbers by itself are of course only a hint, but because this developer replaces the former Kodak stuff, it's a three part RT composition (including starter 4 part) of nearly identical mixing propotions, I would bet you could tap your friend's lifetime supply of starter and get a proper result. (Anyway, it's only buffered "table salt" ...)

Just add a bit less than told and watch your prints, if they are to dense / contrasty / fogged add slowly starter till the used / desired result is visible. Or just forget about it, I've read several times (from reliable members) that Kodak RA4 RT Developer replenisher can be used, as it is, for room temperature tray development. Maybe the pixar composition can be used that way too...

Regards,
    Stefan

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Stefan:

Thanks again for some good directions.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Just for the record, Kodak's RT developer has some oxidation inhibitors in it and relative to other RA4 developers it is very stable. I have left my RT developer in my replenishing tank with a floating lid over the summer. When I tested the chemistry that fall using RA4 control strips, it was fine. Denver Pro Photo sells it and will ship it anywhere. The last time I did a price comparison, they were competitive with B&H out of New York. Their phone number is (866) 360-4940 and there website is www.denverprophoto.com.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Just to clarify the chemical situation with Kodak. Kodak did sell its chemical manufacturing plant to Champion. Kodak continues to offer the various color and b/w chemicals it did before the sale. It just now has them manufactured by Champion. You will notice no difference in performance. After all, it is the same people in the same plant making the chemicals.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Those prices for the Silver Pixel chemicals look really good when compared to the prices for the Tetenal and other RA-4 kits that I've looked at. Does Silver Pixel have a distributor in Europe?

Shooter
    Large Format

may you advise alternative for duratrans transparency?

Quote Originally Posted by stefan4u View Post
    Dear Larry !!

If I'm not completly wrong Kodak had aparted from making it's photochemicals. A company called "champion" will do it further on.

But have a look to the Freestyle Site, they do offer this stuff too.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_pro...=1004&pid=5888

They do have a data sheet with mixing Instruktions
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/pdf/Silver_Pixel_RA4.pdf

and MSDS for the Color Developer
    https://www.freestylephoto.biz/pdf/m...ix_RA4_Dev.pdf

It's not possible to get the entire reciept, but at least the right Developing Agent (CD-3) is used, in opposite to "Fotospeed mono RA4" which uses CD-4.
    Lithiumsulfate, Diethylhydroxylamine and TEA are present too. Definatly no odorless, more a "conventional (in the best meaning)" formular. Give it a try, 32 Bucks for 20 Ltr. replenisher seems to be a good price.

By the way, this is replenisher, actual you need a tiny ammount of starter to convert it to a seasoned solution.

Regards,
    Stefan
    Hello may you advise alternative for duratrans transparency (RA4)?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hello! I have durst epsilon printer RA4 process. Usually I am using duratrans transparency for light boxes printing. Please help to find alternative . may thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin