Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,948   Posts: 1,557,857   Online: 809

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mustafa,

with all kinds of seperation processes you got quite a lot of control, might they be applied at the primary exposure strage, or later while printing.

The last of these processes was a printing-stage imbibition process by Kodak called `Dye Transfer´. (A member here at Apug is commercially reviving such a sytem.)
    You have control via the exposure, the type of photosensitive matrix, the development of those, the type and concentration of the dyes you use, the application of the dyes...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deane Johnson View Post

I remember him saying he could get better shadow detail in his photos that were scanned for the posters than he could with a finished photographic print. I believe he made special prints that did not reach the end of the photographic scale for scanning, then allowed them to be "stretched out" (my term, not his) to the limits of the reproduction process. I believe I remember him showing an original next to a reproduction with the thought the reproduction was better.
    This is in fact normal practice with prints for reproduction - as with digital, the idea is to start soft and work up to the contrast you need. Deep rich blacks may look great in an exhibition print but will inevitably lead to loss of detail in reproduction.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    On the DVD "Ansel Adams: Photographer", he comments that "I can control color to a certain point, but after that point, it becomes very obviously unreal".

He does not elaborate on how he controlled color.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deane Johnson View Post
    I often wonder what Ansel would be doing with photography now if it were a time he was at the top of his game. What would he do with digital? What would he be doing with Photoshop?
    One of my favourite Adams quotes:

"I am sure the next step will be the electronic image, and I hope I shall live to see it. I trust that the creative eye will continue to function, whatever technological innovations may develop."

- Ansel Adams
    Examples: The Making of 40 Photographs (1983)
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck1 View Post
    On the DVD "Ansel Adams: Photographer", he comments that "I can control color to a certain point, but after that point, it becomes very obviously unreal".

He does not elaborate on how he controlled color.

The Kodak "How To" series on outdoor photography shows examples of AA controling color by the time of day and by filtration.

PE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin