Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,663   Posts: 1,481,646   Online: 836

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post

I have chilled a number of these to close to freezing a number of years ago, and had oil form on the surface. I discussed this with workers at EK and we decided that the diethyl hydroxylamine and CD3 or CD4 were forming an oil on the surface. This rapidly blackened and formed a tar that would not dissolve.

PE
    Wow, doesn't sound too good. Glad to say I've never experienced anything like this with E6 but perhaps C-41 is different.

My motivation for freezing is not only for longevity but for convenience. Having to find appropriately sized glass bottles and/or use marbles is a hassle. I tried it and it wasn't for me. I'm also not interested in having to get a contract for a cylinder of nitrogen or argon and propane or any other highly flammable gas is just suicide indoors. I love film, but not that much.

Currently, I use a Jobo and their 3010 Expert drum for 4x5 and their 2500 series tanks for 35mm. The 3010 takes 330ml per tank and the 2523 tank takes 270ml. So, after mixing the full 5L kit, I just divide each chem into 333ml sizes, pour into 500ml plastic water bottles and throw 'em in the deep freeze. This gives me 15 sets of chemistry out of the kit. The bottles are CHEAP, readily available when you buy bottled water and allow plenty of room for expansion.

When I want to process, I just pull out a "set", thaw in the sink for 20-25 minutes and dump each chem directly in the Jobo; no mixing or measuring required. For me personally, the worst part of film processing was always mixing the chemistry; it's finicky, sometimes messy and takes quite a bit of time. Besides cleaning the mixing containers and graduates is too much like doing the dishes. Having to do it only once per 5L kit is a godsend.

My processing cost is about $2.15 per 35mm roll and $0.43 per 4x5 sheet. I'm sure I could find ways to make it even cheaper but compared to what the local lab charges, I'm content the way things are now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, Rob, the developers don't contain any antifreeze components as far as I can see. I checked the bottles and my memory was faulty. This was a check of both C41 and RA chemistry on my shelf.

As I always say though. Use what works. My work is probably obsolited by your observations of current developers. I'm just happy that it does work.

I never have put chemistry like that into our home refrigerator though.

Best of luck.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Am I stupid or what?

I owe everyone an apology here.

The work I did now comes to mind more clearly and it was with C22 and EP3, not the present formulas. Those old formulas as well as E4 contained benzyl alcohol and this promotes oil formation at low temperatures.

So, that is why I gave my answer, and I apppear to have been 100% incorrect. My sincerest apologies for the confusion.

Freeze with confidence Rob.

(See what old age does? Too many essential things begin to fail! )

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format

I never have put chemistry like that into our home refrigerator though.

PE
    Definitely a good point, especially for those that have children, it's just not worth it.

Myself, I have a dedicated deep-freeze for my chems and film. The girlfriend and I had originally purchased it with the intention of stocking up on food when it came on sale but you know what they say about good intentions.....I also don't have children to worry about thankfully.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Am I stupid or what?

I owe everyone an apology here.

The work I did now comes to mind more clearly and it was with C22 and EP3, not the present formulas. Those old formulas as well as E4 contained benzyl alcohol and this promotes oil formation at low temperatures.

So, that is why I gave my answer, and I apppear to have been 100% incorrect. My sincerest apologies for the confusion.

Freeze with confidence Rob.

(See what old age does? Too many essential things begin to fail! )

PE
    Hey no need for apologies, just glad you were able to figure it out. Thanks again for all your help and experience.

Man I find this stuff interesting which is funny because I hated high-school chemistry and failed university chemistry twice. Yeah, I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Rob, are you freezing the Kodak or the Tetenal chemistry? I like your idea as a way to save time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm working with the Kodak 5L kit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin