Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,240   Online: 816

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodachrome 40 Type A / 5070

Hi all--
    I just recently came across a brick of Kodachrome 40, still all wrapped up, and I am having mixed feelings about what to do with it. I love Kodachrome and bought it with the intension of shooting it...but I am having doubts for a couple of reasons. First and foremost is that while I am slightly fanatical about Kodachrome, I am not as bad off as others and I sort of think this might be better used by someone that lives and breathes for K-14! The second reason is that I don't know enough about this version of the film...is it very different from K64? I know that the 25 goes for insane amounts on eBay, maybe I should sell it on eBay and buy some K64? Heck, I dunno. Anyway, if you have any thoughts on this film I would love to hear them. Maybe it will help me decide if I am worthy of this honor bestowed upon me...ha ha. Maybe I should repost this in the antique & collectible area. Anyway, thanks in advance.

Matt
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Considering I still have some K-25 that I bought before the insane prices kicked in, I would say, why not shoot some of your K-40?
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    K40 is tungsten balanced, so with a filter its about equal to 25 in daylight. I think it has a nicer colour balance than 64.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yeah, and Crazy reds. When you correct it for daylight you can use one filter less, whatever it is, not correct it fully to daylight and it looks very cool. Shot a bunch of it, and still have some floating around in the freezer. Insane reds.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    K40 is the tungsten balanced motion picture varient.....I've never heard of it as a stills format.

Check the "brick" you may well find it is super8 or 16mm

Dwaynes still process it.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791 View Post
    K40 is the tungsten balanced motion picture varient.....I've never heard of it as a stills format.

Check the "brick" you may well find it is super8 or 16mm
    That's what I thought too. I have K40 in Super 8, never heard of it as a stills film.

Shooter
    35mm

Kodachrome 5070

Kodachrome 40 A/5070 is 35mm color slide film balanced for 3400K photoflood lamps. I believe 7270 is the motion picture code. You can use it in daylight with an 85A filter at EI 25.

I used it in the late 70s mostly for slide duplication. It is a bit contrasty for copying, but the colors were wonderful.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin