Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,828   Online: 1021

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE,

Concerning those C-41 kits containing two concentrates to make Blix from, would it not be a means to be on the safer side to just make seperate bleach and fix from the concentrates and adjust the ph? Or would that mean to change the bad for the worse?
    Last edited by AgX; 11-09-2007 at 02:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IDK. I have not tested it, so I can't give advice.

It seems to me that using a blix would work but with 2 - 4 x the manufacturers time. IDK there either.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Please forgive me for asking this again, but it seems to me that the underlying assumption in much of this discussion has been that blix is used in a in a replenishment system or at least in a process in which the solutions are not freshly mixed.

This may be true in a typical kit or maybe in some minilab processes. However, my question is a little different. It is whether freshly mixed blix used immediately in a one shot process would work satisfactorily.

My thinking is as follows: I am making the assumption that the reactions that go on after mixing (those that degrade the performance of the mix) are not instantaneous but occur over a period of time (hours/days/weeks?). I gather that these reactions relate to the oxidation of the sulfur-containing compunds by the ferric ion. If the mix is used immediately then there may not be enough time for this reaction to take place to any significant degree, and if so then the active components of the blix (bleach and fix) might be able act independently and with full effectiveness on the film before they react with each other to degrade the solution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is also a matter of dilution of the chemicals. When they are separate, they may be used at higher concentration than when mixed.

Another thing you must consider is that Kodak and Fuji use proprietary chemistry in these solutions. Look on the bottles for any comments such as "proprietary". These are the patented chemicals added to the bleach or fix that increase activity.

PE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin