Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,498   Online: 856

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi PE,
    Here's some more.
    I started with only diluting the Dev by 30%, contrast improved, but not to the standard. Color sat was still way down. Then I diluted the Blx 40%, and the rich color came back, and the contrast became normal.
    I really can't explain it, but maybe there's something unique in the Ilfochrome Blx that is unlike other bleaches.
    Thanks again.
    DT

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by davetravis View Post
    I can now use up the over $1k of other paper in inventory.
    YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (ok, I'm easily excitable)
    Easily forgiven by a Scotsman like me. We have a reputation of demanding value for money. I'd be pretty excitable if I had been faced with the prospect of over a $1000 of paper not producing the right results. Glad it has worked out

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by davetravis View Post
    Hi PE,
    Here's some more.
    I started with only diluting the Dev by 30%, contrast improved, but not to the standard. Color sat was still way down. Then I diluted the Blx 40%, and the rich color came back, and the contrast became normal.
    I really can't explain it, but maybe there's something unique in the Ilfochrome Blx that is unlike other bleaches.
    Thanks again.
    DT

There is a critical step in the bleach that goes to completion Dave. So, they appear to have changed all 3 items, the developer, the bleach and the paper. This is why you had to make 2 changes with things under your control, and it worked just fine fortunately.

I would not like to play guess work with what went on, but your original results suggested the developer change, and as a reach a bleach change. Good thing they worked.

Being 1/4 scotch myself, I believe in this type of economy. I think I'll drink some tonight to celebrate.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Being 1/4 scotch myself, I believe in this type of economy. I think I'll drink some tonight to celebrate.

PE
    PE Remember that the correct drink is whisky without an "e". Oh and its not made from rye either!

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Way ahead of you, with the wifes approval, I'm enjoying a Fat Tire as I write!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm just starting a Speyburn.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak Dye Bleach

Guys;

I found a card with a group of 35mm slides and a photomicrograph of my own dye bleach coating done at Kodak. They were in an envelope in an old box.

It was intended for heat processing where you exposed, heated to develop and then laminated to a cover sheet while heating. This coating was one in the series that did not chill set properly and I had to help the coaters clean the machine with a putty knife late at night. We used to do the hare brained things on B and C trick in research sometimes.

Anyhow, the first sets were done by hand coating this multilayer and then they were machine coated. This is the machine coating. It is one of the very very few things I've found from my years at Kodak.

I thought you might be interested.

BTW, Kodak had a dye bleach material ready to introduce as a product. I've mentioned this before. It was called Azochrome, and the introduction date was Dec. 8, 1941. The introduction was cancelled, and for some reason Kodak never went back to it.

PE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dye bleach cross section resized.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    Thanks Dave,
    I have some 4x5 Velvia that I'm dying to print, but the only Ilfochrome chemistry I can find is at B&H and they won't ship it. I've heard that Freestyle photo will be carrying it soon, but I'm still waiting.

Dan
    Dan,
    Freestyle may not have it in stock, but they did special order it for me. They're having it drop shipped from Ilford Oji USA, in MA.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    BTW, Kodak had a dye bleach material ready to introduce as a product. I've mentioned this before. It was called Azochrome, and the introduction date was Dec. 8, 1941. The introduction was cancelled, and for some reason Kodak never went back to it.
    It's a shame that they're unlikely to return to it in this day and age! I don't know why, but I have a real premonition of doom surrounding Ilfochrome
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_walls View Post
    It's a shame that they're unlikely to return to it in this day and age! I don't know why, but I have a real premonition of doom surrounding Ilfochrome
    Cheer up. Dye bleach color print materials are likely the only color print materials we can hand coat. The dyes are commercial products and the emulsions are straightforward.

The hardest part is making the coating.

PE

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin