Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,827   Posts: 1,582,073   Online: 857

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Cheer up. Dye bleach color print materials are likely the only color print materials we can hand coat. The dyes are commercial products and the emulsions are straightforward.

The hardest part is making the coating.

PE
    Oh, well in that case you have cheered me up . I'm afraid DIY emulsion making and coating are all in the realm of magic to me so I've no idea what is and is not feasible - my A-Level Chemistry was a long time ago...

...which isn't to say I wouldn't love to try. Will your book have a section on dye bleach materials?
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hope to include dye bleach, yes....

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Dan,
    Freestyle may not have it in stock, but they did special order it for me. They're having it drop shipped from Ilford Oji USA, in MA.
    Thanks for the info - about how long ago was that? I actually called them about Ilfochrome 2-3 weeks ago and was told they were definitely getting it in and to keep checking back. The customer service rep didn't mention anything about a special order. Is this something I'd have to pro-actively request? Did they have a minimum order?

Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    Thanks for the info - about how long ago was that? I actually called them about Ilfochrome 2-3 weeks ago and was told they were definitely getting it in and to keep checking back. The customer service rep didn't mention anything about a special order. Is this something I'd have to pro-actively request? Did they have a minimum order?

Dan
    There didn't seem to be a minimum, but IDK. I requested that they stock it and they asked what I was interested in, perhaps they could order.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

The new P30 kits seem to have the magic back

I've been printing Ilfochrome now for about 18 months. Have been using the P3.5 kits all along and was frustrated by what I thought was lesser saturation and contrast balance than what I was familiar with (Christopher Burkett, Michael Fatali etc...).

I buy through Keeble & Shuchat here in the San Francisco Bay area. I had two kits of chemistry go bad (part B on both Developer and Bleach) significantly before their expiration dates. I went in and talked to the Rep at Keeble about 3 months ago and he looked into it. Ilford was reformulating and coming out with these new 2L and 20L kits. If you haven't seen them the 2L kits now come in 3 heavy duty plastic canisters with developer and bleach pre-mixed so you only have to add water. The 20L kits contains all parts in seperately purchasable bottles so you can mix and match to your needs avoiding waste. I've yet to get the 20L kit but was able to pick up a couple of the 2L kits just a couple weeks ago.

My first prints were wildly out of whack (too light). After much testing I found a reduction of about 2 stops seemed to be a close equivalent. BUT, the prints are now much more saturated and contrast balanced. They hold light so much better on display which was a huge frustration of mine.

I'm still experimenting but, based on this thread, it seems the old Ilfochrome characteristics are back. And, I can't be happier since I've been sweating a $3500 purchase of paper I made in the Spring.

Hope to hear correlative evidence from some of you out there.

Cheers,
    Douglas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zenfoto View Post
    I Ilford was reformulating and coming out with these new 2L and 20L kits. If you haven't seen them the 2L kits now come in 3 heavy duty plastic canisters with developer and bleach pre-mixed so you only have to add water. The 20L kits contains all parts in seperately purchasable bottles so you can mix and match to your needs avoiding waste. I've yet to get the 20L kit but was able to pick up a couple of the 2L kits just a couple weeks ago.
    Douglas, how much are the new kits selling for? I'm interested in Ilfochrome but balked at the lack of availability and pricing in Canada. I know it's expensive but I didn't want to buy chemistry that I wouldn't be able to use up in a timely manner.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Douglas,
    Glad to hear you're having success!
    I've worked around all the "bugs" in the chems one way or another over the years. It will be great to have things settle down and be more predictable. I've still got about 5 mixes of the P3.5 left so I won't need the new P3 for a while, but when I do I'll post my experience. Thanks for the heads up! How much was the new stuff?
    DT

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sorry for the belated response. Just picked up some more 2L kits today - price of $70 USD each which is more expensive. But was told the 20L kits will be around $350-$400 which is quite a bit cheaper than purchasing 20L worth of the previous P3.5 kits. There's quite a $$ variance per liter between the 2L and 20L but imagine production, mixing and shipping of 2L versus 20L justifies the premium.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I wish we could get them to sell the bleach separately. I hope to get back into Ilfochrome next year and hate to pay that kind of money when I dont need 2/3 of the kit.

Wayne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    DT - How and by how much did you adjust exposure? Thanks for posting your results.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin