Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,550   Online: 786

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Sorry for the absence, I'm on Work now...

I've got mine Hydrochinonmonosufate from "Organica" / Calbe the follower of former ORWO Chemicals in Bitterfeld, Germany. They do have the DTOD too, but minimum Order is 1 Kg each. I really have no idea how about shipping to foreign contrys, it was difficult enough to get it for me as a private person. Things may be different if you do have your own company...

Anyway, if you decide to use the soulutions as single use you will be able to decrease the developing agents. Look for example at following Patenthttp://www.patentstorm.us/patents/59...scription.html

This was a "corner-stone" for me, followed by different other recieps and Patents which I found during the search of the right iodide potion. If I remember right Hydrochinonmonosulfate is most times used in the ammount of 22 till 24 or 26g/L. I would recommand to use the developers only one way anyway!

If you are in a permanent lack of hydrochinonmonosulfate, I would not hesitate to try 6g simple Hydrochinon. I dont wanna arouse a new dispute of the "right " developing agent, simple Hydrochinon is (renownedly) not perfect. If you have slides with clear and intense colors this will work, if colors are more subtile there will be a slight color crossover. At least this are my observations...
    Hydrochinon changes it's activity quite fast, so brew and use the developer...
    Sorry that's it for now, work does not wait...

Regards,
    Stefan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stefan;

HQ can be used in place of HQMS. There are 2 problems. First, the plain HQ developer changes in activity with time, due to decomposition from air into HQMS.

Second is the fact that HQ is too active on the various layers and does not yield quite the same image quality in the various layers. So different films may give different color shifts and dye hues.

If you stick with one film, and balance things you can get usable results from the fresh solution, but you cannot be assured of good results with all films and especially from older developer solution. It does not age well.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    back again...
    Dear PE, I'm absolutley with you. The sulfonated Hydrochinon is much better in terms of aging, activity and even development as I learned the hard way. Just wrote the prior to encourage experiments, for the case that hydrochinonmonsulfonate is not availible at all.

Regards,
    Stefan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, it seems that HQMS is vital for consistency. How long before the HQ version starts to destabilize? One or two weeks?
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Minutes to hours depending on mixing and storage. And it differs with the film you are using.

There are discussions in several text books about HQ developers and their changes in activity vs keeping. You see, one thing about this reaction is that it raises pH, so you see a drop in activity and then a rise, and then a drop. This is due to loss of HQ, then an increase in pH and finally a drop in both levels. It is very complex. Use of HQMS solves the problem.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Minutes to hours depending on mixing and storage. And it differs with the film you are using.

There are discussions in several text books about HQ developers and their changes in activity vs keeping. You see, one thing about this reaction is that it raises pH, so you see a drop in activity and then a rise, and then a drop. This is due to loss of HQ, then an increase in pH and finally a drop in both levels. It is very complex. Use of HQMS solves the problem.

PE
    It would seem if I have any desire to produce consistent results, then HQMS is essential. Now, if only I can grab some from somebody.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found a catalog listing (www.tciamerica.com/catalog/H0187.html), but the price - ouch! This used to be carried as one of the Kodak BD (balanced developing) agents at only an exorbitant price. What ever happened to them? The last I saw, a couple of years ago, Eastman Chemical (no longer part of Eastman Kodak) still made several developing agents. Maybe they still do.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Certainly, PE. I should have brought it up in the beginning of the thread. It was my intention to experiment with a DIY E-6 formula. I understand that hydroquinone monosulphate is what should be used in the first developer but I currently have only hydroquinone. I also understand that home brew E-6 formulations are not accurate. Consequently, I run the risk of long term image stability, loss of image quality and grain.

The formula that I'm using is as follows:

==== cut ======

This formula was posted by a APUGer not too long ago and is a variant of the Watkins formulation. I thought I would play around with it and see what results I would get. The Canadian winter is coming and I need some indoor stuff to occupy my time with. Once again, thank you for all the help that you provided.
    Just curious - where's the reversal bath?

Dan
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds. - Bob Marley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Use light reversal and save money.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Snapshot - a local work around?

I'm out in Mississuaga, and one of the last times I was out at the local to me HHW depot dropping off expired fix, bleach etc. I found on the 'free to take' shelf a bunch of recently out of date E-6 concentrates. I am using the e-6 bleach as my current C-41 bleach, and otherwise I have stuff to spare. I think that I have 3 or so 1 gallon concentrates of E-6 first developer; so if it is just the first dev developing agent that has you stumped, there is a work around at hand. I too mix from scratch, and have done Watkins Chromebrew in the past, so I know what you are up against.

I am making a run downtown tomorrow and sunday to drop off my kids for a weekend away at thier aunts, so if you don't have access to a car, give me a call and perhaps we can set a drop off up. I will PM you with my contact details, but my subscription has expired, and the last time it did so the credit card script could not handle me not having a US state as part of my address, so I am not sure if that is going to work yet. If no PM in the next short while, post your interest or not back here. Mike.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin