Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,393   Online: 1089

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nworth View Post
    I found a catalog listing (www.tciamerica.com/catalog/H0187.html), but the price - ouch! This used to be carried as one of the Kodak BD (balanced developing) agents at only an exorbitant price. What ever happened to them? The last I saw, a couple of years ago, Eastman Chemical (no longer part of Eastman Kodak) still made several developing agents. Maybe they still do.
    These guys want $98.10 US for 10 g of the stuff, it sounds like a synthesis project. Snapshot, you said you have long cold winters and need a project!!..Good luck...EC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It certainly cannot cost that much or the E6 first developer price would be out of sight. What does Kodak sell it for?

PE

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    It certainly cannot cost that much or the E6 first developer price would be out of sight. What does Kodak sell it for?

PE
    They are a lab chemical place and always get huge dollars for even common chemicals like sulfite...EC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    I'm out in Mississuaga, and one of the last times I was out at the local to me HHW depot dropping off expired fix, bleach etc. I found on the 'free to take' shelf a bunch of recently out of date E-6 concentrates. I am using the e-6 bleach as my current C-41 bleach, and otherwise I have stuff to spare. I think that I have 3 or so 1 gallon concentrates of E-6 first developer; so if it is just the first dev developing agent that has you stumped, there is a work around at hand. I too mix from scratch, and have done Watkins Chromebrew in the past, so I know what you are up against.

I am making a run downtown tomorrow and sunday to drop off my kids for a weekend away at thier aunts, so if you don't have access to a car, give me a call and perhaps we can set a drop off up. I will PM you with my contact details, but my subscription has expired, and the last time it did so the credit card script could not handle me not having a US state as part of my address, so I am not sure if that is going to work yet. If no PM in the next short while, post your interest or not back here. Mike.
    I'm definitely interested. Let me know what you want me to do. Thanks!
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    These guys want $98.10 US for 10 g of the stuff, it sounds like a synthesis project. Snapshot, you said you have long cold winters and need a project!!..Good luck...EC
    Unforutnately, I'm not a chemistry wiz or even semi-skilled. If anyone can offer any input on how to make the stuff, I will definitely appreciate it. I'm wondering if the libraries here in the GTA have anything that can be useful?
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    35mm
    High snapshot, and all others !!

Google around for cas: 21799-87-1

You will find various supplier for potassium hydroqinone monosulfonate. Most of them im China / Hong kong or wherever.

But not all of them. Follow the link below:

http://newsearchch.chemexper.com/che...=brandqtyoffer

This stuff is distinctly more expensive than hydroquinone, I paid 55 Euro (~75 Dollar) for one Kg, but the main difficulty will be to convince the distributors to sale small (1 kg) ammounts to a private Person.
    On the other hand, if you get a "real" person on the telephone, it will work propably, (hopefully). At least this is the way it works for me, they all want to earn some money at the end...

Regards,
    Stefan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Evidiently, you can create the the HQMS with sodium sulfite, hydroquinone and hydrogen peroxide.

Hydroquinone Monosulfonate, Sodium

25.0g of sodium sulfite, 11.0g of hydroquinone and 10ml of hydrogen peroxide (40% solution) in 500ml of water.

This should get me what I need. Obviously, I'll have to balance out the first developer formula to get the correct pH and results.

I would like to thank a friend and fellow APUGers, PE especially, for helping out.
    Last edited by Snapshot; 11-15-2007 at 05:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got all of that but the 40% H2O2. That is dangerous stuff. If you can get it, be very very careful of it. It is a very powerful oxidant.

The 3% might work just as well here seeing as there is so much water involved. The peroxide is being diluted to 4%, so that is 4 grams of H2O2 itself. All you need is 133 ml of 3% H2O2 and 366 ml of H2O to reformulate and make things come out even.

That should work, but addition method could be important.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, I was concerned about the H2O2 as well. In fact, you might not be able to buy H2O2 in Canada without a permit. I will call my local chemical supplier and see if what hoops I need to jump through. Otherwise, I will use store bought 3% solution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have about 2 Kg of HQ here. I may give this a crack.

However, the hard part will be purification of the material and making a solid of it. You cannot be sure of what you have from any organic reaction until you recrystallize it.

PE

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin