Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,956   Posts: 1,586,030   Online: 787

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I think I may be getting there

Having dabbled with colour printing over the last 12 months I have really been trying to get filtration right this last fortnight.
    I have attached my latest effort because my mom looks human in it no green skin or purple clothes and the light is just about right. I have now got my Labometer set up so that I put the neg in , get the settings and print. It's actually quicker than photoshop and inkjet printing and more reliable.OK it's early days but it's just so much FUN !!!!
    And I even have a local 1 hour lab that does a decent process only service with CD for proofs at only £3 . Who need digiboxes ?

Cheers CJB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled-1.jpg  
    Last edited by digiconvert; 11-13-2007 at 03:56 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: it helps to put the attachment in BEFORE sending !!
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by digiconvert View Post
    And I even have a local 1 hour lab that does a decent process only service with CD for proofs at only £3 . Who need digiboxes ?

Cheers CJB
    Indeed! For an investment in a film scanner you can avoid buying a digisnap and have all the resolution, color gamut, ... and set up a darkroom for less than the cost of the top of the line Nikon or Cannon body or for that matter a D-Back for a Hasselblad [ok, ok for the grammarians in the forum "an 'asselblad"].

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You still need to take out some red. (Magenta + yellow). Add a bit more magenta and yellow filtration. I have never felt the need for a color analyzer. Note...just 2 units of change is visible in a print from a color negative.
    Last edited by PHOTOTONE; 11-14-2007 at 02:14 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: more info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would add 5 Red based on what I see on my monitor.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I would add 5 Red based on what I see on my monitor.

PE
    Yes, adding red filtration, takes out red from the print. (Just to clarify for the beginner). You get red on your average color head by dialing in magenta and yellow in equal amounts.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd ask your mum first Chris. She's the customer here. It might not be technically correct but a lot of people like warm prints. Might be an interesting experiment to try her with all three filtrations and see which one she prefers.

There's a tale about a very famous photog who said something along the lines of always erring on the side of warmth as he had never has a customer complain about prints being too warm but plenty who'd pick up on a genuine neutral and all of them picking up on even the smallest hint of anything with a "cold cast"

I have a ringaround in one of my books of a small girl and its always the blue, cyan, green cast that is easily identifiable and horrible. The yellow, red settings look nearly as good or as good as the "correct" print.

I'd be surprised if your mum prefers to be "pale and interesting" as the victorians used to say. Not many people do and women especially at the risk of sounding sexist.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd try adding the 5 red suggested, plus 1 or 2 of yellow as well. I think there is some yellow there hiding under the red.

I might lighten it as well - about 1/6 of a stop.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt;

The filter addition is equivalent to lightening it a bit. That is why I did not suggest it.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PE:

You are of course right, although it probably doesn't hurt to point out specifically that that is one of the results one of adding more filtration.

I have to remind myself of that result, because:

a) I haven't done much colour printing recently; and

b) A lot of the colour printing I did in the past was on equipment that automatically adjusted the exposure to keep density the same, when filtration was changed to adjust colour (leads to bad habits, I know).

CJB:

Keep up the good work - it is great fun, isn't it.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is fun!

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin