Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,394   Online: 1015

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kodak Vision 3

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

New Movie Film from Kodak

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    35mm and 16mm film - Hmm - does anyone use 16mm film anymore? I thought that went out when 8mm was introduced - as I recall getting 16mm film processed is very expensive compared to 8mm and professional movie makers use 35mm film. For that matter, can you even get movie film processed anymore?
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds. - Bob Marley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    35mm and 16mm film - Hmm - does anyone use 16mm film anymore? I thought that went out when 8mm was introduced - as I recall getting 16mm film processed is very expensive compared to 8mm and professional movie makers use 35mm film. For that matter, can you even get movie film processed anymore?
    Just as much as you can still buy fillum for those old style cameras...

Yes, there are many labs still processing motion picture film in the World. In the US, it is mainly on the East and West Coasts but a few independent labs operate in the heartland.

Check the Kodak website or http://www.acvl.org/motion_picture_labs.html.

16mm is still popular; NFL films still shoot Super 16mm for ingest to their production chain.

35mm is still by a large margin, the main acquisition format for the entire motion picture industry in the World, as is print stock for motion picture exhibition.

The tiny little lab I used to work in did over 2 million feet of b&w a year, and the East and West Coast labs do that in a week, so go figure...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is another thread on this here somewhere.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nowadays I can get 16mm processed more cheaply than Super8. Whilst Super8 is still popular with many, 16mm is more mainstream.

It should be noted that these days producers are invariably using Super16mm, as opposed to standard 16mm (although the actual film itself is the same, with perfs on one side - when used in a std 16 camera a smaller negative is exposed than with a super 16 camera).

Super16 is used widely for origination for TV dramas etc. The aspect ratio of Super16 is very close to the current "widescreen" TV's and is a good medium for later transfer to HD.

I will be very interested to try out this 500T Vision 3 as with even finer grain, this of course opens up more possibilties for the old Standard 16mm format - I think that 500T Vision three in Std 16 will probaly yield the kind of grain levels you would have had to go to a 100ASA film for 10 years ago. (I only have a Standard 16 camera)

Also both Aaton and Arri have recently released new Super 16mm cameras:

http://www.aaton.com/news/index.php?nid=23

http://www.arri.com/entry/camera.htm - have a look at the "power of 16" video - I love this little film showing the evolution of 16mm and its current possibilities.
    Last edited by Matt5791; 12-02-2007 at 11:05 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    There is another thread on this here somewhere.

PE
    oops... didn't find it, maybe the mods can combine them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Super 16 is also used in many television commercials, and some music video productions. The current HD will become a moving target in the future. Originating on film is one way to future proof content, making it easier to meet future standards in broadcasting. This is important on a historical basis, and for syndication usage.

Recent indications in the industry are that SD production is still fairly high, despite much more HD gear being available. One reason is web video, and the other is that the editing requirements are simpler. Oddly enough, when film origination happens in motion imaging, it can be a very small portion of the budget. The approach with film is also different in that a take can be much shorter; while straight to video can be done that way, it often is not, which means more time and expense later in editing.

Anyway, with new films being developed and produced, I think that states a great deal about the health of this market. Other good indicators are companies making new telecine machines, for film to video and video to film transfers. To the average consumer, or shopper at Best Buy (et al), these things are largely invisible. Kodak could speak more loudly about these things.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Shooter
    35mm
    35mm and 16mm film - Hmm - does anyone use 16mm film anymore?
    Yes...For example "The Shield" is shot mostly hand held on Super 16mm. You can see the grain and the gritty look it gives, which was what they wanted to achieve. However the industry is moving more and more to digital. "Rescue Me" is digital HD shot on Sony's HDCAM system and I believe that choice was driven more by budget limitations than anything.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    oops... didn't find it, maybe the mods can combine them.
    tell me which thread and I'll combine them

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jd callow View Post
    tell me which thread and I'll combine them
    I started a thread on the new Vision 3 film in the color film section a couple of weeks ago:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/4...ision-3-a.html
    Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. :D

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin