Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,992   Online: 799

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I thought I had better add that when I first became aware of this problem I thought it must be chemical related. I was having similar problems with Kodak portra endura and supra endura and fuji Crystal Archive MP. The fog was different, slightly, but existed across my paper stock. I had discussions on APUG and photo.net all of which suggested developer or Blix problems. It was fuji themselves who came to my rescue by blaming old paper and giving me the name of stockists to whom they had recently shipped. When I used this new paper I had paper whites again and thereby visibly cleaner colours. I think RA4 paper, even rolls, which is how I bought my Portra and Supra needs buying with care by the casual user. One thing I can say is that Fuji MP paper is out of date and even if stored carefully should not be bought without testing.
    PE I am using fuji hunt developer replenisher and may be that had somthing to do with the pinky base fog that I had with Kodak paper.
    Incidently my local Kodak liveried minilab told me that he thought the best chemicals were the old Agfa, now available again, he thought it ran much cleaner and produced cleaner more saturated colours.
    My best pictures have been printed on Konica paper but I don't know where I could buy that now, fresh at least. I think the colour palette from Kodak paper has seemed to me to be wider, fuji always seems tight on spectrum and prone to blowing out the whites.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Harris View Post
    My best pictures have been printed on Konica paper but I don't know where I could buy that now, fresh at least.
    My understanding was that Konica-Minolta ceased all photographic film and paper production in early 2007 (or maybe even a little before then). If that's true, then there'll be precious little fresh stock left in the supply chain by now. I've still got a little left in my freezer, but I think it was out of date even when I bought it a year or two ago. I use it for less-important color enlargements.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    srs5694 what do you use for your important prints then?
    I think it's time to open a discussion on RA4 paper characteristics, I might post a question.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guys;

There is a comment here about Fuji. "Fuji always seems tight on spectrum and prone to blowing out the whites". This is a characteristic of the paper which renders it more difficult to print sometimes with Kodak films. I've commented on it before.

Kodak and Konica papers were broader and allowed more latitude in printing with different materials.

Konica is no longer with us, but it was fine paper. It was modeled more closely on the Kodak type paper than Fuji is.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Harris View Post
    srs5694 what do you use for your important prints then?
    I think it's time to open a discussion on RA4 paper characteristics, I might post a question.
    Most recently I've been using Agfa; I bought several boxes at a very low price just after Agfa folded, so I've had a big stash of it. The reason I don't use the Konica paper is that I believe it was old and/or improperly stored, so I don't entirely trust it. I'm almost out of both the Agfa and Konica, and I'll probably go back to Kodak after my current stocks are gone. I've used Kodak paper in the past, and I found it easier to print on than Fuji paper. Maybe it was just bad luck with the Fuji, but I had a harder time getting good color balance with it than with Kodak (or Konica or Agfa).

Shooter
    35mm
    OK, now I'm inclined to say that my problem was really caused by outdated paper, or perhaps a combination of paper and chemistry. Because I bought a roll of Kodak Royal paper and the problem is gone. Even with rather old blix I was able to get very good whites.
    I also tried to add 5g/l of Disodium EDTA to the blix, according to PE's advice, but I saw no visible difference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin