Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,689   Posts: 1,482,368   Online: 772

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Cross precessing winter scenes

I'm heading way north this weekend, and will no doubt run into tons of snow. I'm going to take some Fuji 64T slide film and do some shots that will be cross-processed. So, given the brightness of the snow, how should I rate the film? Typically I would use ASA24 or so, but in this case....?

Any thoughts on how snowy scenes turn out when cross processed?
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Two thoughts.

1. The usual crossover will make snow scenes look worse than many others IMHO.

2. Read for yourself that Fuji films tend to cross process with less suitable results. This is not true for all films.

3. It seems to me and I gather from other comments, I'm not alone in this, that EPP does best.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thebanana View Post
    I'm heading way north this weekend...
    Where you off to John? I remember you saying you hit some pretty remote places sometimes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks PE. Assuming I can find some EPP, how would you rate it for snowy scenes?
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've rated it at the box speed or less. However, even EPP is prone to a lot of crossover. With wooland scenes it looks good, but I would imagine snow scenes to go from pink to green. IDK. After seeing my results in Xover, I have avoided doing snow scenes.

I have some neutral scales here that are fair to middling that I could post if you want. It would take a bit to scan them, but they are handy right now. Not snow, but well, they are here.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    if you’re worried about cross over than you'll need to test the film prior to going and try and do some on camera filtration to remove/minimize the portion that is least desirable.

In RTP's instance it is a bit confusing. Mostly it is a green cast which creates a magenta/green cross over when you try and correct it during printing. Adding a magenta filter (20 - 30cc mag) will help alleviate this.

FWIW I give you authority to ignore disregard convention and forget about being colour true. What crossprocessing will do for you is create impenetrable highlights. This will create some pretty dramatic snow scenes. Here is an example: http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...500&ppuser=403

You can also pull the film 1-2 stops in exposure and processing. This actually helps a bit with the colour cast and lowers the overall contrast -- giving you maybe another stop of information and will inhibit the highlights from blocking up.

Where there is block-up you'll get some bloom where shadows (especially) meet the snow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John;

Very nice. I notice you used EPP.

I remembered one other item that Kodak suggests. If you cross process, you can add citrazinic acid to the developer at about 1 - 5 g/l to lower contrast. If you do this, you will have to readjust the pH up again by adding base so that it is at about 10.5 at 20 deg C. You will have to test this to come up with the right level for your film.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just a thought, you're talking about using a tungsten balanced film in daylight so that's going to be another colour cast (bluish) to worry about too. Although if you're doing snow scenes then that could help with the impression of "cold" so could be a lot of fun. Not sure how the cross-processing will impact this as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Frugal;

Good point. I assumed he would use a filter for the film. Without a filter, the cross process of mismatched color will emphasize any contrast and crossover problems.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Selected scenes, cross processed EPP

Here are two shots of carefully selected scenes with good lighting for the situation. I have enlargements of both, but scanning actually seemed to make them look less like a cross processed EPP. It seemed to damp out some of the richness.

You may want to compare the doll picture with the straight EPP example in my gallery.

PE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cross process doll.jpg   cross process flowers.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin