Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,176   Online: 949

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Chemistry

Try this:

http://ceisites.com/kegman/carbon.htm

$195 for an empty 60 Cubic Foot N2 Cylinder. I'm sure I've seen cheaper but of course I can't find it now. Smaller tanks stick in my mind at 1/2 that price.

Then surf over to rapid and get :

http://rapidswholesale.net/Merchant2/merch...duct_Code=2G398

The high pressure twin gauge regulator $50.

http://rapidswholesale.net/Merchant2/merch...duct_Code=5R124

A picnic tap with 4' of hose. You'd need to get the right fittings and I'm not sure this is the best way.

Rapids website must be the worst in the world. But they are VERY good. Prices are also very good. I haven't ordered in awhile so caveat emptor. Ask if they still have the paper catalog. Much easier then the website. Or just ask them for advice. The people on the phone understand what they sell.

Instead of trying the high end wine stores try the online wine making places.

Next time I drive by the gas guy I'll try and remember to stop in and ask how they handle nitrogen. I know they just swap CO2 tanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hah!! I think I have found a viable answer for the missing "Protectan" spray, for displacing oxygen rich air in opened, partially filled chemistry bottles.

I've just bought a BernzOmatic "Micro Torch Kit, Cat. #ST150K (also on the package is "ST9009" - I think that is for accessories).

This little puppy is a powered by Butane - filled into a transparent reservoir from a BerrnzOmatic (no idea of the catalog#) canister.

Once filled, one removes all the accessories, inserts the business end of the device into the bottle and twists the thing "on" until the appropriate gas layer is deposited. In case Moe, Larry and Curley are listening - *NO* you don't light it.

Neat, efficient, inexpensive, and readily available at Lowes ... I imagine all large hardware chains carry these.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    Why not just take one of the spray nozzles off an old spray can and put it on the benzomatic can that you use to fill the butane torch. Then it goes directly into the chemical storage bottle. Just take a pin and make the opening in the spray nozzle top bigger.
    The Butane comes out of the original canister as a liquid. Probably no difference in application, but I'd rather load it into the chemistry bottle as a gas.
    The transparent reservoir in the body of the Micro Torch gives a visual indication of the amount being dispensed -- and that gas *IS* being dispensed.

Not only that - but applied to its intended use (lit), it looks like a good way to melt sealing wax.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I fail to see any problem with butane.

It is relatively safe ("safe" is a relative term anyway), cheap, easily available, and requires no special equipment.

99.9% of all spray cans are powered by butane. If it's safe enough for whipped cream, it's safe enough for my darkroom

If I bother, I just use my lighter to seep a little butane into developer bottles. Then I refill my lighter from a bottle of the same stuff, which is made without an internal tube. That means it's always gas on top, liquid on bottom. You turn it upside down to fill a ligther.

A bottle of lighter gas costs a fraction of a bottle of Protectan...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    To bad we don't live close. I get a discount on large bottles of butane. I pay only about $2.50 for a huge bottle.
    True.

... And then there is the thing about the butane....

Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, gang ... I just wrung out Tetenal "Mono PK" ... In place of my usual Tetenal RA 4 PK. Interesting stuff. Mid-point target temperature seems to be 22.0 degrees Celsius ... instead of the usual RA4 35.0 degrees C. Kind of strange working with color chemicals that are that cold.

Color balance is definitely different, but once a test strip was balanced out on the ColorStar, all related values seem to be OK .. and I can see *very* little difference between the final results of the two systems.

The BernzOmatic "Mini-Torch" butane dispensing system works like a charm. Simply invert the device into the subject bottle, twist the puppy "ON" for a few seconds, shut it off - observe the drop in liquid gas level (not much), cap the bottle and - *done*. Neat. Possibly this thing is an extravagant "overkill" (US$ 20 for the "kit") but ... utterly cool. Besides, this thing is constructed so precisely, it reminds me of a Leica ... and it is *cute*!!!

From your fellow pyromaniac... :oops:
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello, fellows pyromaniacs

I use 'straight from the cask' (no, it's not Laphroaig) butane lighter refill.
    Point it down in the dev bottle, push the valve for a few seconds.

But I would just love Ed's toy...

Jorge O

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin