Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,779   Online: 837

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Backup for Transparencies

Hi There!
    I have a collection of approx. 800 slides which are stored in acid free pages in 3 binders. Just wondered if I should have a backup, the reason being that I'm not sure on the average life expectancy of a slide. Probably a daft question, but coments would be appreciated! I know Kodachrome has a very long lifespan, but not sure on Fujichrome.
    Many Thanks!

Alan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have Ektachrome and Kodachrome slides that are 30 years old that are still in good shape.
    Many are stored in archival binder pages. Some of the color stuff in my gallery are scans of 15-25 year old slides.
    Dare I say it, but I think the best way of duplicating for back-up would be scanning.
    The bits will last indefinently, even if the media the bits are on might not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my experience slides are quite hardy. I have many dating back over 40 odd years (mostly my father's), all have been stored in boxes and projector cartridges and are in pristine condition.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You could dupe them, either to 35mm, so you could project the dupes, or there are labs that dupe slides to 70mm.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    You could dupe them, either to 35mm, so you could project the dupes, or there are labs that dupe slides to 70mm.
    Gents! Your replies have been more than Helpful! I certainly don't want to transfer them to C.D's!
    Thanks Very Much!
    Regards.

Alan.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I would seriously suggest you consider 'bdials' suggestion, and I would further advise that it's not enough to put images files on your hard-drive, you should invest in a external drive to allow for backup.

Also, for whatever it's worth - I store my newer stuff (since retirement) in Archival Storage Boxes.

My two pence worth,
    George

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Both Kodak and Fuji used to make, and probably still do, "slide duplicating film" which comes in 100ft bulk rolls, and is low contrast, intended to make copies of slides, so the copies are normal contrast. This is normal E-6 process film. In other words, if you use "slide duplicating film" your copies will be very close in quality to your originals. I used to use a small dichroic color head, inverted as a light source, and I could dial in color adjustment filtration to "improve" my original slides. I used a Nikon SLR with a macro lens on a copy stand as the copy camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can also pick up a Bowens Illumitran Slide Copier on Ebay for little to nothing now days and load it with slide dupe film and do it right.

In fact, there is an ugly one on right now for $35; amazing in light of what they cost in the first place...

*edit*

Hey check out THIS, never seen one of these before but it looks good.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    There are also slide copy attachments for SLRs and slide copy equipment that is designed for contact printing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin