Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,492   Posts: 1,542,972   Online: 905

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Overexposed velvia cross processing

A few days ago, I've accidentaly overexposed a roll of velvia 100F by 4 stops The contrast quite variable between shots, but I more less exposed for highlights. I intended to process it in c41. I've done cross processing velvia before and was satisfied with results.

My questions are: Can a -3 pull make it useable neg? Is -3 pull maximum pull i can get? What can I expect if I processed it in -3 E6?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dormin, surprised you liked the cross processed Velvia. I thought it rather boring. Kodak seems to give me much wackier results, but it depends what you are after of course. When I started to X process I used to overexpose the film and the results were disastrous. I think you will struggle with 4X overexposure the only thing I would say is you will never get a good slide out of it so play around with pulling C41 and see what you get.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I do not really expect anything good from this roll. Im just looking for something that can produce some interesting or inspiring results.

I tried x-processing on about 20 different slides and it depends on subject. For ovesaturated punchy colors which are usually sought after when x-processing, velvia 100f is not the best. For that I like rsx 50 most, followed, not so closely, by e100vs and one has to start with rather saturated subject.

When subject or film is more dull its possible to get colors more-less natural with just some strange looks.

I also heard people recommend overexeposing slides for x, but I find that a very very bad idea.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Four stops is a bit much and a 3 stop pull may be to short to develop the dye layers evenly. Having said that I over expose and under develop xprossed negs all the time and get great results. What I do is bracket for over exposure up to 3 stops and under develop by 2. The narrow range is expanded, and less contrasty, the saturation is all there and the neg is more printable. Crossover can be worse and grain is greater. If you’re interested in experimenting do 2 snip tests: one at 2 stops and one at a 3 stop pull. Only use about 5" inches for each snip test and save the bulk of the roll for whichever comes out best. It may be that you'll discover that nothing will save the film or 2 or 3 stops works as a charm and that the rest of the roll can be saved. It may open a new door for you as it did for me.
    Last edited by jd callow; 12-04-2007 at 02:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Seems that I should expect something rather muddy at best. I usually expose and develop at 0, and adjust contrast by choice of subject and multiple exposure.

Unfortunately testing short strips is not a good option, for a number of reasons. Its 6x7 MF roll, the subject at most frames is quite different. I develop color film only when I want something a lab simply won't do as I don't have a decent processor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do a 3 stop pull and cross your fingers. I suspect that @ 3stops the outer layer(s) will stop bullets and the inner layer(s) won't see enough development to have much worth. You aren't doing this to be colour accurate so who cares. Meanwhile, there are techniques for reducing density, but I don't know anything about them. PM Photo Engineer, he'll know.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I don't do it to have acurate colors, but do want more than one. I'll see when I have time for a trip to the lab.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I'm just back from the lab, and the roll with 4 stop overexposure, and -3 pull, appears to be more less ok, much better than I expected. The shots with low contrast witch I've chosen to compensate for high contrast of cross processed film, are bit muddy but some more typical look quite like regular neg in prints.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin